Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #1

Battery getting hot

Have a 2006 Rockwood TT. The battery gets hot as soon as you hook it up. It only happens when the shore power is hooked up as well. I switched out batteries, checked all fuses and GFCI's. Everything is working fine inside. Any idea of what it could be - maybe the converter?
mjknight02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #2

If its a flood type check the fluid level, sounds like a case of dry cells. If not the case, it sounds like a serious case of overcharging

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Battery is bad. You probably have a shorted cell. When connected to shore power the convertor is trying to charge it so it will heat up and can boil out all the water if it hasn't done that already, Replace the battery you will be fine.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

Too much voltage to the battery (>14.5 volts) or whatever is charging the battery (converter) is overcharging the battery. Bad converter?
briteday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by briteday View Post
Too much voltage to the battery (>14.5 volts) or whatever is charging the battery (converter) is overcharging the battery. Bad converter?
My absorb point is set to 14.8v (2 - 6 volt in series - actually have 2 sets) and is what's recommended by the manufacturer. Now if it kept that up all day, or more, I would agree. This is easily tested. I actually equalize at 16.2v (each pair) when needed - every month or so based on SG readings taken. My batteries are now 3 years old and close to new in performance. But, I keep them clean and full.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #6

The batteries weren't the issue so I ended up installing a new convertor. That took care of the battery getting hot but now I don't have any DC power inside. I only have DC power to the tongue. Even with shore power is plugged in, there's no continuity. i checked everything I can think of. Any ideas? Thanks!
mjknight02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Check reverse polarity fuses and the resettable breaker under the tongue. See Photo.
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjknight02 View Post
The batteries weren't the issue so I ended up installing a new convertor. That took care of the battery getting hot but now I don't have any DC power inside. I only have DC power to the tongue. Even with shore power is plugged in, there's no continuity. i checked everything I can think of. Any ideas? Thanks!
check the 2- 40 amp fuses on the converter.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery