Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #1

Battery goes dead too quick!

Does anyone out there with a 34TBOK have any battery issues? We got ours 2 wks ago and the battery was pretty much dead - we charged it on 2amp for almost a a week and I have only been in the trailer 2 times for about 5 minutes each with 1 light on & when I went to go in it this evening the battery was already dead. Our old trailer hasnt been used since mid October and I used it to store presents & wrap with no battery issues at all. Just wondering if it is the battery or if others are having issues as well.

Thanks!
kritta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
ARLO

Take the battery to your dealer and have it load tested. If it tests good, check the inverter to see if it is charging the battery. Generally, if the battery is not taking a charge, it probavly has a dead short internally or it is not being charged. If you are externally charging it with a 2 amp charger, it will eventually have a full charge. Have you checked the battery voltage before you charge it?
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

I tried to reply but not sure if I got posted or not. We do not leave the trailer plugged in. Have tested the battery & it showed full charge. Should not have gone dead in 2 wks time with only approx. 10 minutes worth of lights being used.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

You need a battery cut-off switch. All RVs have equipment that drains the batteries when not in use.
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Site Team

if you don't leave the trailer plugged into shore power or have a battery disconnect switch, the parasitic power drains in the trailer, will drain a single battery down in just a few days.
you may have done permanent damage to the battery if it has been drained numerous times, below a certain amount of charge
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
if you don't leave the trailer plugged into shore power or have a battery disconnect switch, the parasitic power drains in the trailer, will drain a single battery down in just a few days.
This is what I've found with our Sabre 36QBOK. Given this, I don't see how anyone can boondock without major battery and power upgrades. I just don't ever see that in our future. :-(
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Graduate Member

ours will sit in the garage with a few minutes of light use here and there, and will drain in about a week to two. After the first week, you notice dim lights. After the second, then fire alarms cut out.

But ours has a battery cut off switch right by the entrance door. Does yours?
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #8

yeah - ours does not have a battery cut off switch - but we are looking into one. Seems ridiculous you spend this much money on a trailer and it does not come with a $10-$50 part to save your battery life - or know ones tells you about it. Kind of disappointing
Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritta View Post
yeah - ours does not have a battery cut off switch - but we are looking into one. Seems ridiculous you spend this much money on a trailer and it does not come with a $10-$50 part to save your battery life - or know ones tells you about it. Kind of disappointing

An informative dealer should have showed/told you this !

alot of the newer units are comming with them .......... And agreed it should have on from the factory not all people have access to plug in there unit 24-7

another option would be to just unhook the battery when not in use .

dont forget which cable goes where tho or you may have more problems!

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

another option would be to just unhook the battery when not in use .
that is what I do even when it is plugged into the house, because if it gets unplugged it will still not drain

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritta View Post
that's because most modern RV'ers don't dry camp or boondock.
the vast majority have hookups.

for us in Calif., our state park campgrounds rarely have any hookups, so dry camping is a way of life out here.
so, we have two batteries, a disconnect switch and a Honda 2000i.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
This is what you need!

Blue Sea Systems Mini Battery Switch

close

This is what is needed to isolate your battery completely so the battery does not go dead while in storage: It is a marine cut-off switch to be installed next to the battery. The switch is about $24.00, nice heavy duty.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #13

Kritta,
You've been given advice but it is all over the place. It's really difficult to know what to do unless you have a plan.
1. You said that you charged the Battery (B+) at 2-amps for some time. That will charge a B+ if it is good. Get it load tested as you were told. If it checks out OK fine. If not replace the B+.
2. Once you know the B+ is capable of accepting a charge plug your camper into shore power and check the voltage at the B+ which is coming from the converter. The voltage at the camper B+ should read around 13.7-V. If no then you have an open in that circuit or a problem with the converter. If you had a B+ disconnect switch then it might be off and you'd have no converter voltage to the B+. I just had that experience.
3. If you have 13.7-Volts at the B+ and the B+ has been checked then you'll have to determine if you have an excessive current drain. Most campers will drain a small amount of current to power small items. Your car has the same thing happening. In most cases the drain is minimal and you will run your vehicle often enough to recharge the B+. I usually leave my camper plugged in at home. We have a heater running during the winter.
4. Checking the camper current drain requires an amp meter and can be done by most decent camper repair facilities.
Solving electrical problems requires a step by step common sense approach. You have to check one thing at a time and usually in a certain order, to determine the problem. Replacing parts and not following a set procedure will result in tail chasing, wasted $$$$$ replacing parts and most times a trip to a good diagnostic tech to solve the problem.
Best of luch and let me know what you find out.

TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery