Old 02-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
gpa

Battery Help

Hi every one! I have a new tt with 2 type 24 batteries. Is there a plug in meter that I can plug into my 12 plug in the tt that will give me an idea of what the voltage is? They are not hooked up in series ( don't know what its called).
Also what should the voltage be when I need to charge them?

Thanks

2015 Flagstaff T12rb

Old 02-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #2

Search "Cigarette Lighter Volt Meter" on Amazon.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #3

They are not "deep cycle batteries" so you don't want to let them go below 12.3v before re- charging.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #4

Have 2 12v batteries installed in parallel Dealer installed battery switch to select either battery 1 or battery 2 or no battery but if they are wired in parallel and the system sees the battery bank as one battery how would the switch select an individual battery?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Have 2 12v batteries installed in parallel Dealer installed battery switch to select either battery 1 or battery 2 or no battery but if they are wired in parallel and the system sees the battery bank as one battery how would the switch select an individual battery?
The system sees them as one bank if you select "ALL" on your battery switch, otherwise your system will see them as individual batteries. They are in parallel only through the switch when set to "ALL."

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
Search "Cigarette Lighter Volt Meter" on Amazon.
Volt meters always draw some power from the battery they are checking. Never leave one connected permanently or you will discharge the battery over time.

Battery monitor systems like the Trimetric have a selection (when cycled through) to shut off the voltmeter function.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
The system sees them as one bank if you select "ALL" on your battery switch, otherwise your system will see them as individual batteries. They are in parallel only through the switch when set to "ALL."
This way of connecting batteries (using a 3 way switch) makes sense in a boat where the second battery is your "spare".

The way most RVs use their batteries is as one "bank" of cells. Using a 1-2-ALL-OFF switch where 1 and 2 are individual battery supplies, insures that those batteries will never be matched again as one will always be in better health than the other. Better to actually wire them as below and just use the 1 (or 2) connection and save the other terminal for your eventual "solar" connection!

Keeping both batteries wired "as one battery" keeps them charged and discharged as one.
Attached Images

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
This way of connecting batteries (using a 3 way switch) makes sense in a boat where the second battery is your "spare".

The way most RVs use their batteries is as one "bank" of cells. Using a 1-2-ALL-OFF switch where 1 and 2 are individual battery supplies, insures that those batteries will never be matched again as one will always be in better health than the other. Better to actually wire them as below and just use the 1 (or 2) connection and save the other terminal for your eventual "solar" connection!

Keeping both batteries wired "as one battery" keeps them charged and discharged as one.
I totally agree. I didn't recommend the switch, he the OP said that they already had one! I was just explaining how it worked.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I totally agree. I didn't recommend the switch, he the OP said that they already had one! I was just explaining how it worked.
Thanks Scott. I use a 1-2-all switch myself and use mine just as I said; solar on position 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	100755  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #10

I might invest in a Solar panel but figure if I need to dry camp will attach alligator clips from solar panel with controller directly to batteries with the selector switch on all batteries to charge them equally when in parallel. thank you to all for the great knowledge on this forum.

Tags
battery