Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
gpa
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Shelton, wa.
Posts: 14
Battery Help

Hi every one! I have a new tt with 2 type 24 batteries. Is there a plug in meter that I can plug into my 12 plug in the tt that will give me an idea of what the voltage is? They are not hooked up in series ( don't know what its called).
Also what should the voltage be when I need to charge them?

Thanks

2015 Flagstaff T12rb
__________________

__________________
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northeast CT
Posts: 223
Search "Cigarette Lighter Volt Meter" on Amazon.
__________________

__________________
2013 Rockwood 2109S
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta
Posts: 798
They are not "deep cycle batteries" so you don't want to let them go below 12.3v before re- charging.
__________________

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Member
 
Vinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 34
Have 2 12v batteries installed in parallel Dealer installed battery switch to select either battery 1 or battery 2 or no battery but if they are wired in parallel and the system sees the battery bank as one battery how would the switch select an individual battery?
__________________
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Have 2 12v batteries installed in parallel Dealer installed battery switch to select either battery 1 or battery 2 or no battery but if they are wired in parallel and the system sees the battery bank as one battery how would the switch select an individual battery?
The system sees them as one bank if you select "ALL" on your battery switch, otherwise your system will see them as individual batteries. They are in parallel only through the switch when set to "ALL."
__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
Search "Cigarette Lighter Volt Meter" on Amazon.
Volt meters always draw some power from the battery they are checking. Never leave one connected permanently or you will discharge the battery over time.

Battery monitor systems like the Trimetric have a selection (when cycled through) to shut off the voltmeter function.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
The system sees them as one bank if you select "ALL" on your battery switch, otherwise your system will see them as individual batteries. They are in parallel only through the switch when set to "ALL."
This way of connecting batteries (using a 3 way switch) makes sense in a boat where the second battery is your "spare".

The way most RVs use their batteries is as one "bank" of cells. Using a 1-2-ALL-OFF switch where 1 and 2 are individual battery supplies, insures that those batteries will never be matched again as one will always be in better health than the other. Better to actually wire them as below and just use the 1 (or 2) connection and save the other terminal for your eventual "solar" connection!

Keeping both batteries wired "as one battery" keeps them charged and discharged as one.
Attached Images
  
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
This way of connecting batteries (using a 3 way switch) makes sense in a boat where the second battery is your "spare".

The way most RVs use their batteries is as one "bank" of cells. Using a 1-2-ALL-OFF switch where 1 and 2 are individual battery supplies, insures that those batteries will never be matched again as one will always be in better health than the other. Better to actually wire them as below and just use the 1 (or 2) connection and save the other terminal for your eventual "solar" connection!

Keeping both batteries wired "as one battery" keeps them charged and discharged as one.
I totally agree. I didn't recommend the switch, he the OP said that they already had one! I was just explaining how it worked.
__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I totally agree. I didn't recommend the switch, he the OP said that they already had one! I was just explaining how it worked.
Thanks Scott. I use a 1-2-all switch myself and use mine just as I said; solar on position 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	100755  
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
Member
 
Vinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 34
I might invest in a Solar panel but figure if I need to dry camp will attach alligator clips from solar panel with controller directly to batteries with the selector switch on all batteries to charge them equally when in parallel. thank you to all for the great knowledge on this forum.
__________________

__________________
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.