Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Battery hook-up mistake

Hello everyone, first time post.

I have a 2014 Cherokee Wolf Pack 21WP120

Two questions:
1) In prepping it for the season, I hooked up the two 6V batteries incorrectly ---- neg to neg and the two (red and white) from the RV to both positives AND had it plugged in to our house charge for three days. Just fixed it and the RV lights, etc work fine. Anything I should be concerned with?

2)Does this RV have a built-in float/trickle charger? Can I just leave it plugged in?

Thanks in advance...
fljar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #2

Have you measured the voltages individually on your batteries since you discovered the mistake? Have you checked the water levels in your batteries? Since you were charging basically a 6-volt system with a 13 to 14 volt charger for three days, you may have boiled off a lot of water, and could maybe have ruined those batteries.

Top off the water if needed. Verify the voltage now that you have them connected properly in-series. Should be 12.7 to 13.0 volts if the batteries are good. Let us know what you've got. If the series voltage is good, I would still read the voltages individually to see if they are still balanced.

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

Thanks Dan. Just checked in series and got 12.43 (80ish% charged based on a google search). Disconnected and checked individually and got 6.1 to 6.2 - is that normal for a 6v battery? Checked the water and it looked fine (nice and clean and at least a 1/4 inch above the "fins".
Old 05-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #4

Whew. It sounds like your batteries survived, though they are low. Your converter is not the best "bulk" charger. Yes, it is an OK float charger. If you have a plug-into-the-wall three-stage battery charger, that would be the best way to get the batteries back up to full charge, rather than just plugging in your trailer to the wall. Your 6 volt batteries at a full charge should be around 6.3 to 6.4 after a 24 hour rest after charging. It sounds like they are still balanced.

If after charging with a good battery charger, then allowing them to rest for 24 hours, and then if they are still only giving you around 12.4 volts together, you might start thinking about replacing them.

Or not. I suppose that you are using golf cart batteries and have over 200 amps hours together. You'll just have to try using them the way you normally would, and if it seems that they are not lasting like you expect, let that guide your decision.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #5

With the positive wire and the negative wire from your RV connected to the two positive terminals of the batteries, you would not be putting 12-13 volts into the batteries, it was not a true closed circuit. Your batteries will be fine.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #6

I missed that point, but then the converter would have been shorted. Any blown fuses? Is the converter outputting voltage?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #7

Everything should be just fine. As boondocking stated, you didn't have a closed circuit situation so no way to have blown any fuses or done any damage to anything. Its the best mistake you could have made.

And yes, your rig will charge your batteries when plugged in. If you're not happy with your converter/charger you would be better served to upgrade it rather then relying on a stand alone that you have to haul around. Just starting out though I wouldn't even worry about it. Too many other things will need your attention.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #8

Really appreciate the input folks, thanks! Any recommendations on a charger? I use a small trickle charger for my family's motorcycles and I have an old Craftsman roll-around (probably 20 years old) that doesn't seem to have the right charging settings for the deep cycle 6v. I've done some googling research and the various types and stages confused the heck out of me.

Just want something I can use in the off-season when I remove the batteries for storage (heated garage if that makes a difference).
Old 05-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #9

Battery tender plus, or there is also the "junior" model that can be had for around $25.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

Here is an excellent maintainer for deep cycle batteries.

Amazon.com: Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger - 1.5 Amps: Automotive

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #11

It sounds like you already have a trickle charger, but if you're are looking for a modern multi-stage microprocessor controlled general purpose charger, I like the Schumacher SSC-1500A-CA. It tells you percent of charge while charging, then after it reaches 100%, it will keep a top-off voltage for a while, then it will go into float mode for awhile, then it will essentially turn off, though it will continue to monitor your battery, and give "kickers" as required.

You probably already know, but I will mention it anyway: Remember that you will need to charge your batteries when connected in series as a 12V system. I don't know of any "smart" chargers for 6 volt batteries, though they probably exist.

Tags
battery