Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Battery in trailer over winter

I put my camper at a seasonal spot but left the battery in the trailer hooked up. Can I leave the battery in trailer over winter hooked up ? I figured it would freeze but MY CONCERN IS..will it explode and/or cause any damage if it freezes. Cheaper to replace than the gas to go get it but if will cause damage will go.
Mike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike101 View Post
I put my camper at a seasonal spot but left the battery in the trailer hooked up. Can I leave the battery in trailer over winter hooked up ? I figured it would freeze but MY CONCERN IS..will it explode and/or cause any damage if it freezes. Cheaper to replace than the gas to go get it but if will cause damage will go.
I've done it in both RV and car by accident. In both cases the thick rubber case will bulge and the battery is destroyed if not already. Depends on how low does it get? When a batter is dicharged enough to freeze, the danger of exploding becomes nil cause there's no hydrogen gas present.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

I see you are in Ottawa, how far do you have to go to spend the equalivent of $150. in gas for a replacement deep cycle battery? This weekend is Thanksgiving, take the family for a drive and look at the turning leaves and pick up the battery. It has not been cold enough yet for it to freeze but the early morning frosts are not far off. While there give the trailer one last look over for peace of mind. IMHO

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #4

heading to trailer next weekend to get it. still above 0 (32) for now. reason for a road trip
Mike101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, trailer, winter