Originally Posted by Happy Vibe
Are you sure someone did not hook up the charger backwards, that looks a lot like when that happened to me ,I was not the one that hooked up the charger but I did loose a new pair of jeans, looked like swiss cheese after.
It was properly connected, but the battery was faulty and unable to take a fast charge. The plates were sulphated from being dead and the electrolyte has the specific density of pure water. Trying to "fast charge" the battery just "boiled" the water (actually cracked the water into hydrogen and oxygen) resulting in an explosive mix that could not be vented fast enough with the caps on. Once the electrolyte boiled low enough to expose the plates, a spark ignited the gas.
I was at the campground where this happened. The story is on here several times.
Location: Ft Bragg FAMCAMP, NC
RV - A used "Bounder" a GI was trying to get working as the batteries would not work the 12 volt systems when shore power was not plugged in. He was living in it while he was stationed there.
Just after we had just set up and was enjoying a Guinness Draft, we heard what sounded like a rifle shot at close range. I thought someone had an inadvertent discharge and might have been injured. Spotted smoke coming from the front of the RV across the road.
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW