Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #1

Battery lights get brighter

This is our 5th year with our Cardinal. Recently I've noticed our battery lights will get brighter. This has not happened before.
What would be the cause of this and should I do something about it?
woebkete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Site Team

to FRF.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean they get brighter then dimmer etc.? If so it may be a loose connection or it could be your converter showing signs of going out. Post more info and many here will try and help.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #3

Battery lights

We notice at times, not always, that when one battery light is on, it will get brighter all of a sudden. This has not happened before. It does not seem to repeat. It only happens the one time.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Have you checked your batteries? if your batteries need water the converter could be kicking into bulk trying to keep the batteries charged. It could also be loose or corroded connections. Especially check the grounds.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Have you checked your batteries? if your batteries need water the converter could be kicking into bulk trying to keep the batteries charged. It could also be loose or corroded connections. Especially check the grounds.
x2
my cedar creek boiled down both my batteries in short order
and
Old 04-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #6

Update

When we got home I took the 5th wheel into Auto, Battery and Electric in Clackamas. They tested everything and found everything (batteries, converter, etc.) working properly. They said perhaps something is happening when a slide is out. Also, perhaps there was an issue when we were hooked up to shore power. We will see what happens when we take it out in June.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #7

It's possible the converter is going into the BOOST mode(14.4 Vdc output). This can be caused by a number of things. One could be a loose connection either at the Battery or Converter Lugs.

I'd first check the Battery(Positive Lug), and the Battery(Negative Lug) wire connection at the converter to make sure they are tight.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Tim & Lisa Trempert

What you could try is hooking up a volt meter to one of your 12V lights to measure the voltage the system is running at. Then hook up to shore power and turn various lights on/off to put a full load and partial load on the system. The inverter does not run all the time. It will kick in when the voltage drops to a certain level (probably around 12V) and then turn off when the voltage rises (the batteries are charged). The system will then use battery power until the voltage drops back down and the cycle starts over again.

See what voltage the inverter is turning on/off at. If it's not keeping the voltage in the 12v-14v range, then you probably have a problem. If it is, then the dimming/brightening of the lights is probably due to normal voltage fluctuation.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #9

Well, I finally got around to solving the light problem.
Converter tested faulty, replaced, and all is well.

Tags
battery