Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

Battery Maintenance...technical

I know that we have had a lot of discussion in various posts regarding the best way to maintain batteries, which are the heart of the modern TT or coach. Lots of terms thrown around like equalization and desulfation. I came across this narrative Battery Desulphation and it seems to confirm a lot of discussion as well as present a decent reason why converter manufacturers shy away from providing the best top end voltages that are recommended by manufacturers to keep batteries up to snuff. This author also seems to use equalization and desulfation interchangeably. Personally I wonder if good equalization brings desulfation along with it.

I know that Bogart's solar controller is capable of achieving these voltages in a controllable manner, but still need a way to protect the coach electronics that are hard wired from the higher than normal voltages. Seems that many Bogart customers choose to turn off the 4th charge level and want to stay away from the high voltages that it represents.

I wonder if any of the other more technical forum members have an opinion on the best process.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Here is a significant line from the text that answers the 12 volt / 6 volt issue with finality.

"I have found that the 12 volt version has a considerably shorter cycle life than the 6 volt type."

As always, all things are never equal.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, maintenance