Old 08-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Battery monitor

Our recently purchased 2016 Georgetown 369XL spends most of its time at our seasonal site plugged in to a 30 amp service. (The electrician will be here on August 20 to install a 50 amp service.) I have four group 27 batteries installed by the dealer. A few times a year, we head out for week long NASCAR races and, on occasions, weekend trips to friends "outings" when we prefer not to drive home and need a place to sleep.

Of course at the friends "outings", we can run the parallel Honda 2000 generators all day and all night. At the NASCAR races, there are quiet hours after midnight in which we can not run the generators. We also take many day trips at the races and the generators are not running. With the Dover race now being in October, I am anticipating using the heat quite a bit over night. I also have a residential frig, and CPAP machine. (Providing I get a 12 volt power outlet wired up in the near future.)

So my question is, would it be advisable to install a battery monitor with my given situation? I am thinking (if needed) I would want the Trimetric monitor, model TM-2030-RV with 500 amp shunt. Most searches I have done on Google, YouTube and here talks about also using solar power. I have no immediate plans to buy solar panels. I am just trying to justify not only to myself, but more importantly to the DW the need to spend another $200.00.

We have recently experienced a few power outages with the summer storms and the factory installed idiot lights drop to 2/3 in just a short amount of time. (Yes, I know they are not accurate.)

Old 08-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #2

Hi,

I would judge that the ability to precisely know the charge state of the batteries -- thereby potentially extending battery life -- could be an argument in favor. And who knows, solar is getting so cheap that that might be closer in your future than you think.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
Our recently purchased 2016 Georgetown 369XL spends most of its time at our seasonal site plugged in to a 30 amp service. (The electrician will be here on August 20 to install a 50 amp service.) I have four group 27 batteries installed by the dealer. A few times a year, we head out for week long NASCAR races and, on occasions, weekend trips to friends "outings" when we prefer not to drive home and need a place to sleep.

Of course at the friends "outings", we can run the parallel Honda 2000 generators all day and all night. At the NASCAR races, there are quiet hours after midnight in which we can not run the generators. We also take many day trips at the races and the generators are not running. With the Dover race now being in October, I am anticipating using the heat quite a bit over night. I also have a residential frig, and CPAP machine. (Providing I get a 12 volt power outlet wired up in the near future.)

So my question is, would it be advisable to install a battery monitor with my given situation? I am thinking (if needed) I would want the Trimetric monitor, model TM-2030-RV with 500 amp shunt. Most searches I have done on Google, YouTube and here talks about also using solar power. I have no immediate plans to buy solar panels. I am just trying to justify not only to myself, but more importantly to the DW the need to spend another $200.00.

We have recently experienced a few power outages with the summer storms and the factory installed idiot lights drop to 2/3 in just a short amount of time. (Yes, I know they are not accurate.)
I just got one of these for $12 bucks to monitor my voltage.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/47930243?ref=myacct

Plug it into a 12v power port from time to time and compare to the idiot lights.

Don't let your RV batteries get below 12v before recharging.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:04 AM   #4

Frankly, on RVs that cost what our coaches cost I do not understand why they don't make a Trimetric a standard feature. Absolutely, you should install one since without it you are operating pretty much in the dark using the idiot lights. This is especially true with a residential fridge option. I wouldn't be without mine.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

Agree with ^^^^. Operating an RV without a battery monitor is like driving a car without a fuel gauge. Yes you can do it, but it is not easy and can be stressful. I have found a battery monitor to be invaluable. I installed a Trimetric before I purchased any solar components to better understand our usage. From there I was able to make an accurate determination of battery & solar needs. Now with solar in place, I can at all times determine the state of our batteries.
Hermes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #6

That's what I thought. Thanks for the input.

Tags
battery