Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Citrus County, Fl.

Battery nearly dead after 6.5 hours

On 11-3 we had left our camp site after being set up for three weeks. 6.5 hours later the battery seemed to be about dead. When we pulled in to a campground for an overnight, stay, prior to hooking up to shore power, I ran the water pump after using the bathroom and it seemed weak. It was cool out ( 50 degrees) so I kicked on the furnace to take the chill off and it would not come on. Checked the panel and battery showed empty. All I was running while on the road was the refrigerator and the co/lp detector.

Trailer was picked up new on 6-30 and is always on shore power unless we are towing. I have noticed the co/lp detector would intermittently beep since day one when not on shore power. Looked it up and literature says low battery alarm. I just figured the detector was no good and was going to get it replaced under warranty.

When I got home I checked the battery on shore power and it was reading about 13.6 which would indicate the converter is charging it. Disconnected the shore power and ran the front stabilizers down about half way and checked the voltage. It dropped to 11.6 volts that fast and did not rebound.

Apparently the Interstate deep cycle battery (which I am not fond of) is no good. I was also under the impression the TV would maintain the charge while driving but I guess this is not true (2000 Ford Superduty 250) Checked the voltage hooked up and running the TV and it did not increase on this TT or my old TT which I still have. Voltage on the Prodigy brake control was showing 14.2 while running and the old TT which has been sitting for almost a month not connected was 12.6 volts before and after hooking up to it.

Guess i will take the Interstate to a dealer and let them load test it and replace it of no good. Thinking of taking the battery out of the old TT which I bought about 8 months ago and putting it in the Flagstaff, both batteries have the same capacity.

Any thoughts???
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You have to activate the tv charging system via a relay in your fuse box in order for your camper battery to be charged whilst driving.
Your owners manual will show you how and where.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

2 thoughts: Based on your post, the battery is shot. Wouldn't be surprised if it was run dead and left sitting dead on the dealers lot. I've seen that happen before.

Your truck should maintain / slightly charge the battery. On my F-150, there was no relay installed from the factory for the circuit that charges the battery. All of the other pins on the connector had power - lights, brakes.. just no power to the pin charging the battery. Might be worth checking that out.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

Thanks Turbs, I will check the owners manual. Can't believe I never discovered this after having it and towing a TT for over 14 years!! Never had this issue with the old trailer but I also set it up with dual batteries shortly after purchasing it. Figured since we don't usually dry camp I could get by with one to keep the weight down a bit.

MMP44, the trailer was ordered and the battery should have been new. I will see if there is a date stamp. Regardless it will need to be replaced.
99 Terry 31G
Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Thanks Turbs, I will check the owners manual. Can't believe I never discovered this after having it and towing a TT for over 14 years!! Never had this issue with the old trailer but I also set it up with dual batteries shortly after purchasing it. Figured since we don't usually dry camp I could get by with one to keep the weight down a bit.

MMP44, the trailer was ordered and the battery should have been new. I will see if there is a date stamp. Regardless it will need to be replaced.
If it's not stamped on the top there's a white sticker on the side or end with the manufacturing date.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
Citrus County, Fl.

Took the battery to an Interstate dealer today. It was 11.4 volts when I got there. They fully charged it and confirmed the battery is no good. The clincher is the date code (D1) Manufactured April 2011 and put in a TT that was built in June of this year. Not happy

Spoke with the service manager at the dealer and advised him of the situation and he states the battery could not possibly be that old. We will see, I am driving the 45 miles down there on Monday and will demand a replacement with a date code no older than 3 months.
99 Terry 31G

Tags
battery