Old 09-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Battery needs replacing???

We have a year old 2015 Mini Lite 2104s. We park it on our vacation property. We were gone for 3 weeks and had not plugged it in to shore power. Yesterday we went to open it up and the battery was dead. We plugged it in and it seems to have charged. My husband seems to think we need to replace it, especially before we do a boondocking trip in October. I'm fine doing that if it really needs to be replaced, but I just never knew that if a battery went dead it had to be replaced. Any thoughts/opinions?

SusanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanO View Post
We have a year old 2015 Mini Lite 2104s. We park it on our vacation property. We were gone for 3 weeks and had not plugged it in to shore power. Yesterday we went to open it up and the battery was dead. We plugged it in and it seems to have charged. My husband seems to think we need to replace it, especially before we do a boondocking trip in October. I'm fine doing that if it really needs to be replaced, but I just never knew that if a battery went dead it had to be replaced. Any thoughts/opinions?
Have it tested . just going dead does not mean the battery is no good . charge it up , test and go from there if you can't do it on your own take it into a auto supply store and they will test it for free

Old 09-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

If I were you (depending on how much boondocking you do), I would take this opportunity to replace it with two batteries. I ran two 12V on my 2104S and could get around 3.5 days of October / November boondocking out of it before I discharged them too low. With one battery, you'll only really have about half that. Keep in mind you don't want to discharge them below 50 - 60 % to prolong life. Also make sure they're charged back ASAP. Generally speaking, if you kill a battery like that it will shorten the life expectancy. You may get a month out of it...you may get five years. You may end up with a dead battery while boondocking (actually happened to me last year...full charge to dead in 9 hrs with no warning running nothing but the fridge on propane ). Either way, make sure your battery disconnect is open if you're going to leave it unplugged for more than a few days.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #4

If you have a battery cutoff switch, you should turn it off while away. If not, it would be a good idea IMO to get yourself a Battery Tender or similar and keep that on the battery while your away.

Tags
battery