Old 08-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #11

It would be great if there were an online resource for converter comparison, mainly the size, so we'd know which models fit each others cut out sizes ect.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyEd View Post
Our fuses aren't blown either. That is why we are replacing the converter. We have the extended warranty on the camper. We'll find out Monday if this isn't the cause but the dealer thought it was. Your issue sounds pretty much like ours.
Update to our electrical issues. It was our converter. The mechanic mentioned that it wasn't even grounded. That had to have come from the factory in that condition. Anyway, they replaced the converter, turned the new one around where we can now reach the fuses in case we need to access them. Also, they attached a grounding strap to where it should have been in the first place.
Took my husband 3 hrs round trip to get to the dealer. Took the dealer 20 minutes to fix.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Update to our electrical issues. It was our converter. The mechanic mentioned that it wasn't even grounded. That had to have come from the factory in that condition. Anyway, they replaced the converter, turned the new one around where we can now reach the fuses in case we need to access them. Also, they attached a grounding strap to where it should have been in the first place.
Took my husband 3 hrs round trip to get to the dealer. Took the dealer 20 minutes to fix.
I don't think the ground strap is a big deal because I am pretty sure the main power supply was grounded, and that is what the converter is plugged in to. Don't get me wrong, it is a good idea to do it though but doubt if that is what caused the converter to go bad.

I am glad you got the problem corrected. Do you have the battery you changed out for a new one? If so I would put it back and have two batteries on the trailer.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I don't think the ground strap is a big deal because I am pretty sure the main power supply was grounded, and that is what the converter is plugged in to. Don't get me wrong, it is a good idea to do it though but doubt if that is what caused the converter to go bad.

I am glad you got the problem corrected. Do you have the battery you changed out for a new one? If so I would put it back and have two batteries on the trailer.

Jim
I should have said it was missing the ground strap and wasn't grounded. When we first started looking for the problem the electrician did find a bad ground in the fuse panel. The battery is fine -- it just wasn't being kept charged due to the converter not working. Hopefully this is the end of our electrical issues.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
I should have said it was missing the ground strap and wasn't grounded. When we first started looking for the problem the electrician did find a bad ground in the fuse panel. The battery is fine -- it just wasn't being kept charged due to the converter not working. Hopefully this is the end of our electrical issues.
Ah, now that makes a huge difference! That is one of the things I really like about my surge protector. It tells me if there is no ground on the pole, so I know when my trailer has lost the ground connection. Many do not realize how important that stupid little wire is. Sounds like you should be OK now.

The trailer dealer I normally deal with doesn't deal with new trailers. A lot of what he sells are on consignment. He goes over EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb and guarantees everything to work when I pull it off his lot. Once I had a problem I found two months later and he took care of it for me. That is hard to beat.

If you buy from a private individual you need to be very carefull and know what to look for. Did you put the "old" battery back in? Might as well and have two hooked up to the trailer. It can't hurt unless you can't handle the extra 60 pounds of weight.

Jim
Old 08-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Ah, now that makes a huge difference! That is one of the things I really like about my surge protector. It tells me if there is no ground on the pole, so I know when my trailer has lost the ground connection. Many do not realize how important that stupid little wire is. Sounds like you should be OK now.

The trailer dealer I normally deal with doesn't deal with new trailers. A lot of what he sells are on consignment. He goes over EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb and guarantees everything to work when I pull it off his lot. Once I had a problem I found two months later and he took care of it for me. That is hard to beat.

If you buy from a private individual you need to be very carefull and know what to look for. Did you put the "old" battery back in? Might as well and have two hooked up to the trailer. It can't hurt unless you can't handle the extra 60 pounds of weight.

Jim
We've had our 5th for almost 2 years purchased from a dealer new. We also have the surge protector and use it. The campground we were at did have some funky wiring and perhaps that is what did it. Don't know and probably will never know for certain. Did I mention that our tv which was working the weekend before (at our seasonal spot) died at the temporary site as well? It was not a fun start to weekend but hopefully that is all behind us. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #17

Quote:
We've had our 5th for almost 2 years purchased from a dealer new. We also have the surge protector and use it. The campground we were at did have some funky wiring and perhaps that is what did it. Don't know and probably will never know for certain. Did I mention that our tv which was working the weekend before (at our seasonal spot) died at the temporary site as well? It was not a fun start to weekend but hopefully that is all behind us. Thanks for your input.
I think I would be tempted to go home and try again next weekend, LOL!

Good luck and enjoy!

Jim

Tags
5th wheel, battery, charging, forest river, salem, wheel