Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Battery not Charging via Converter

Good Evening,
I am hoping to good folks here can guide me in the right direction. I have done lots of searching here and across the internet and have not found a solution to my issue. I do have a multi-meter and am fairly handy.

Travel Trailer 2012 26RBKS Coachman Catalina

Battery: Brand New Duracell DC Group 24

My Issue: My battery will not charge while installed in my Travel Trailer.

If I charge the battery outside of the trailer and then install it on the trailer all 12 volt systems work. Once the battery dies, 12 volt systems no longer work.

If the unit is plugged in, all systems work as normal, HOWEVER the battery fails to re-charge.

If the unit is attached to my tow vehicle, all systems work as normal, HOWEVER the battery fails to re-charge.

What I have tried:
- Checked all breakers
- Checked all fuses
- Checked the heavy duty fuse located near the battery, and pictured below. Note that I was unable to find any type of reset button.

Is my convertor toast? What else could it be?

We are leaving for another trip in two weeks and I hope to have this resolved before then.

Thank you in advance to any and all advice!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2887.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	188765  
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #2

Check the voltage on the output of the converter with AC on. If it's just the battery voltage, make sure 120V Ac is coming into the convertor. If that is good, check the fuses at the convertor if it has those.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Check the voltage on the output of the converter with AC on. If it's just the battery voltage, make sure 120V Ac is coming into the convertor. If that is good, check the fuses at the convertor if it has those.
Hi Babock,
Thanks for the suggestion.

I just found the link below. I do not believe it is my converter, but I am going to try it. I will get my converter model tomorrow.

Link - https://www.progressivedyn.com/servi...er-converters/
Old 10-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #4

You want to make sure the breaker that is feeding the converter is actually working and the connection to the converter is ok.

You can do the test of lifting the cable I guess. If it goes up, it could still mean two things...the converter can't tolerate a small load or the battery itself has failed and is loading down the converter too much.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

If you do find it's your convertor that has failed, replace it with a progressive dynamics. I took out my stock WFCO after a couple trips and replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #6

I'd try another battery first, if you have one.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
Good Evening,
I am hoping to good folks here can guide me in the right direction. I have done lots of searching here and across the internet and have not found a solution to my issue. I do have a multi-meter and am fairly handy.

Travel Trailer 2012 26RBKS Coachman Catalina

Battery: Brand New Duracell DC Group 24

My Issue: My battery will not charge while installed in my Travel Trailer.

If I charge the battery outside of the trailer and then install it on the trailer all 12 volt systems work. Once the battery dies, 12 volt systems no longer work.

If the unit is plugged in, all systems work as normal, HOWEVER the battery fails to re-charge.

If the unit is attached to my tow vehicle, all systems work as normal, HOWEVER the battery fails to re-charge.

What I have tried:
- Checked all breakers
- Checked all fuses
- Checked the heavy duty fuse located near the battery, and pictured below. Note that I was unable to find any type of reset button.

Is my convertor toast? What else could it be?

We are leaving for another trip in two weeks and I hope to have this resolved before then.

Thank you in advance to any and all advice!

Chris
Please read this FAQ on 12 Volt DC Circuit Breaker with Manual Reset.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

I think you probably have a WFCO converter. Here is a link to the various trouble shooting charts for them. If it turns out that it is bad, I would get with Randy at Best Converter for a Progressive Dynamics replacement unit. He will be glad to help you choose the correct model.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:25 AM   #9
NH Maple Maker

Check all of the fuses in the converter. My son in-law had the same problem and found the fuse for the charger was blown.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:30 AM   #10

Can't wait to find out what is going on here. It could be in the definition of "everything works" or "fails to recharge"

OP writes...

If I charge the battery outside of the trailer and then install it on the trailer all 12 volt systems work. Once the battery dies, 12 volt systems no longer work. In other words, the battery voltage gets to the panel through the breaker and wiring when the battery is charged

If the unit is plugged in, all systems work as normal, HOWEVER the battery fails to re-charge.In other words, the converter works when there is 120 volts..but it doesn't re-charge the battery

If the unit is attached to my tow vehicle, all systems work as normal, HOWEVER the battery fails to re-charge. In other words, the voltage from the tow vehicle gets to the TT and to the panel...but it doesn't recharge the battery

Now, I guess that it is possible that the converter is only outputting 12 volts so that when plugged in everything works but it won't recharge the battery. BUT that also means that at the same time, the TV is only outputting 12 volts as well. Possible but highly unlikely. It could be a bad battery but the OP seems to be able to charge it with an external charger.

I think we need some voltage measurements under all of these circumstances to figure out what is going on.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
Site Team

X2 what Scott said. Definitely need more info!
Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
Dobbs from WI

OP mentioned a new battery. Maybe during one of his installs he reversed the connections and popped the 40 amp fuses on the converter?
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
OP mentioned a new battery. Maybe during one of his installs he reversed the connections and popped the 40 amp fuses on the converter?
But the OP says that everything works when plugged in. That would mean the converter is working and the fuses are OK.

2015 335DS
Old 10-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #14

Quote:
You want to make sure the breaker that is feeding the converter is actually working and the connection to the converter is ok.

You can do the test of lifting the cable I guess. If it goes up, it could still mean two things...the converter can't tolerate a small load or the battery itself has failed and is loading down the converter too much.
Hi Babcock, I edited my post after you responded. I appreciate the feedback, but I'll need detailed instructions on any testing.

Quote:
If you do find it's your convertor that has failed, replace it with a progressive dynamics. I took out my stock WFCO after a couple trips and replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics.
Thanks, that seems to be the universal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I'd try another battery first, if you have one.
Thank you for the suggestion. This is a brand new battery that is capable of being re-charged using an external charger. I do not believe it is the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Thank you for the link. While my circuit breaker looks similar to several of those in the link, I have not been able to find a reset button. Plus, my battery still passes current from the battery to the trailer. Wouldn't that not work if the breaker was tripped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I think you probably have a WFCO converter. Here is a link to the various trouble shooting charts for them. If it turns out that it is bad, I would get with Randy at Best Converter for a Progressive Dynamics replacement unit. He will be glad to help you choose the correct model.

Aaron
Thanks, Wahoonc! I found these late last night and actually used them today. See my notes at the end of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russhd1997 View Post
Check all of the fuses in the converter. My son in-law had the same problem and found the fuse for the charger was blown.
Hi Russhd1997, I have pulled every fuse that I can find and they all appear to be functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Can't wait to find out what is going on here. It could be in the definition of "everything works" or "fails to recharge"

OP writes...

If I charge the battery outside of the trailer and then install it on the trailer all 12 volt systems work. Once the battery dies, 12 volt systems no longer work. In other words, the battery voltage gets to the panel through the breaker and wiring when the battery is charged

If the unit is plugged in, all systems work as normal, HOWEVER the battery fails to re-charge.In other words, the converter works when there is 120 volts..but it doesn't re-charge the battery

If the unit is attached to my tow vehicle, all systems work as normal, HOWEVER the battery fails to re-charge. In other words, the voltage from the tow vehicle gets to the TT and to the panel...but it doesn't recharge the battery

Now, I guess that it is possible that the converter is only outputting 12 volts so that when plugged in everything works but it won't recharge the battery. BUT that also means that at the same time, the TV is only outputting 12 volts as well. Possible but highly unlikely. It could be a bad battery but the OP seems to be able to charge it with an external charger.

I think we need some voltage measurements under all of these circumstances to figure out what is going on.

Quote:
But the OP says that everything works when plugged in. That would mean the converter is working and the fuses are OK.
Hi Scott, you are correct! Everything works when plugged in, and when a charged battery is connected. The converter is simply not re-charging the battery when connect to shore power.

If you would like measurements, tell me what, when, where and how to measure and I will provide.

_______

I did find the troubleshooting guide from WFCO for my converter. The model number is WF-8955PEC and I have attached pictures below. In looking at the guide from this link it appears my convertor is functioning correctly because the 12 volt appliances work fine when connected to shore power. So, that doesn't solve my issue of the battery failing to charge. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-10_18-15-44.png
Views:	90
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	188841   Click image for larger version

Name:	converter.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	188842  
Old 10-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #15
Site Team

Start by testing voltage at the battery while hooked to shore power. Then disconnect one of the battery cables while plugged into shore power and test for voltage at the cable ends. That should tell us if the converter is putting out proper voltage.

Then test the battery voltage with the cable unhooked.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Start by testing voltage at the battery while hooked to shore power. Then disconnect one of the battery cables while plugged into shore power and test for voltage at the cable ends. That should tell us if the converter is putting out proper voltage.

Then test the battery voltage with the cable unhooked.
I was finally able to do some testing. Below are my results.

Battery Voltage on bench not connected to anything: 12.59

Battery Hooked up normally to Trailer with NO shore Power: 12.48

Battery Hooked up normally to Trailer with shore power and both leads connected: 13.51 and climbing slowly

Battery hooked up with shore power and Positive lead disconnected with Volt Meter in between: 13.68

Battery hooked up with shore power and negative lead disconnected with Volt meter in between: 6.33 volt

I've left the battery in the trailer still hooked up to shore power to see what it does the next day or so.

To me it seems like everything is performing as it should. What does everyone else think??
Old 10-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #17

Sounds normal. Not quite sure what "voltmeter in between" means, but wonder about the 6.33 in between is .

2015 335DS
Old 10-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #18

If you are seeing 13.51 volts the battery is charging. Let it charge overnight and recheck. It should settle around 13.2 once charged and plugged in. Incidently the battery will not normally recharge from your vehicle, but it should recharge when connected to 120 volt.

I don't understand what you are saying the 6.33 reading is.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Sounds normal. Not quite sure what "voltmeter in between" means, but wonder about the 6.33 in between is .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
If you are seeing 13.51 volts the battery is charging. Let it charge overnight and recheck. It should settle around 13.2 once charged and plugged in.
I don't understand what you are saying the 6.33 reading is.
Negative Lead from Trailer >> Volt Meter >> Battery

6.33 volts was when I measured with the Negative lead disconnected volt meter in between it and the battery and on shore power.

The more I think about this I am beginning to think there may have been power issues at the park I was at. The power shut off several times due to too low and too high voltage. Perhaps there was not enough voltage for the unit to charge properly??
Old 10-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #20

"The more I think about this I am beginning to think there may have been power issues at the park I was at. "

You may be on to something. Let it charge and recheck before getting too concerned. A 15 amp outlet at home is plenty to do the recharge (you do not have to be on a 30 amp.)
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, converter