Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #1

Battery question

We leave our camper plugged up all the time, even when not in use. Will this cause any issues with the battery/on board charger when it gets cold/freezing?

Thanks, Philip
Old 11-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkthomas View Post
We leave our camper plugged up all the time, even when not in use. Will this cause any issues with the battery/on board charger when it gets cold/freezing?

Thanks, Philip
Shouldn't if you check the water in the batteries about every 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkthomas View Post

Thanks, Philip
With a 2014 you should have a power center converter with 3 stage charging.

Float mode should not boil the water out of a wet battery with excessive current as float will drop charging current to that necessary to replace losses due to parasite current loss (internal resistance and about an amp of "junk" that runs in the background).

However, you should "check on" the camper about once a month to look for damage or leaks and during that check a peek under the caps will assure you that all is still "OK".
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #4

I suggest you read this post (and other earlier experiments by this gentleman): http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post482734

The WFCO "3-stage" chargers don't appear to work very well.

I suggest that you either upgrade your Converter to a Progressive Dynamics, or unplug your RV except for about a day a month.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

Another solution is to install a disconnect switch at the battery and use a Battery Tender to keep the battery conditioned.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
Another solution is to install a disconnect switch at the battery and use a Battery Tender to keep the battery conditioned.
X2

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
X2

Bill
X3. Far and away the best solution.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
My 5er is stored away from home and has no access for electric hookup. The battery was fully charged when put into storage on Nov.1 and the battery disconnect turned off. Will be leaving for Florida the last week in January. Should I bring the battery home and keep charged or will there be a decent charge when we leave? I don't want it to go completely dead.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
My 5er is stored away from home and has no access for electric hookup. The battery was fully charged when put into storage on Nov.1 and the battery disconnect turned off. Will be leaving for Florida the last week in January. Should I bring the battery home and keep charged or will there be a decent charge when we leave? I don't want it to go completely dead.
I personally would bring it home and put a battery tender on it. Letting a battery go dead is one of the worse things you can do. Sucks the life right out of it. Sometimes when they go dead, they stay dead. No way to bring back to life. Doesn't happen all the time, but does happen. Either way, you are doing your battery an injustice by not keeping it charged.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Happy owner SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
I use a battery tender but have not found a reason to use a disconnect switch. Am I missing something?
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
I personally would bring it home and put a battery tender on it. Letting a battery go dead is one of the worse things you can do. ed.
That's my thought, too. I'm going to retrieve it this week, keep it charged at home and reinstall it before we leave for Florida.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
That's my thought, too. I'm going to retrieve it this week, keep it charged at home and reinstall it before we leave for Florida.
Very wise move....
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #13

If you don't disconnect the battery you may have the converter and the Battery Tender both feeding the battery. That would defeat the purpose of the Tender.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Very wise move--------------

Lloydg, very wise move on removing the battery to keep it charged. Come on down to our great state of Florida, But bring lots of $$$$$ we need it.

When you cross the state line you will see a sign that says "KEEP FLORIDA GREEN", that simply means bring lots of $$$$$!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Makin' Life Simple

Think "convenience" when having a disconnect switch. Otherwise you need to get the wrench, pull the cover, place the wrench (5/8ths most likely), and loosen and remove the wire. Reverse all this to put it back on. The switch is a 45deg turn and the battery is fully disconnected.NOW...if you NEVER want to disconnect the batt (except when replacing it) because you have a batt tender, then you really don't need the switch.
skisteveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #16

Battery Disconnect Switch

With the disconnect switch OFF, you can't use any 12V in the unit relying on the battery. This has no effect on using a floater to keep your battery charged.
J Autry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #17

You have to know what else is connected to the battery. Alot of the CO alarms are connected pass the disconnect. So it would be pulling amps with your disconnect turned off. You are better off taking it home or your battery will be dead when you go back.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #18

IMO, if your battery disconnect doesn't disconnect all of the parasitic loads (like propane/CO detector), it's wired wrong. That's the whole purpose of the silly thing.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
IMO, if your battery disconnect doesn't disconnect all of the parasitic loads (like propane/CO detector), it's wired wrong. That's the whole purpose of the silly thing.
You would think so, But mine is wired directly to the positive terminal. I know that that is the case because I disconnected it at the battery post and it shut it off. My solution was to add a SPST switch next to the CO unit in the trailer. They could have made a mistake at the factory just as my disconnect pulls out for on and push in for off. I had to add a plate in front of it being my load shifted during travel and shut down my 12V. It's attached to the floor of the basement not on the upper wall. I another great design by FR. So you shouldn't make blanket statements like that. I would be more then happy to post pictures.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
They could have made a mistake at the factory just as my disconnect pulls out for on and push in for off.
Are you sure that the switch should not work that way? Was it suppose to work like a safety switch that can be turned off simply by depressing the button?

Tags
battery