Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_allison510 View Post
My mind is literally blown.....Thanks you for clearing that up. So....still have a question. I have a xantrex freedom x 1200 in one of the front pods. That is what beeps when the fridge battery is getting low. Is that my INverter for the fridge?

Also, just to clarify, should my truck and solar port be charging both batteries? Or just the "house" battery?
Quote:
So I actually got a reply from Forest River. They said the the batteries ARE supposed to be wired together in parallel. And that the battery disconnect is only wired to one battery but should kill the power to everything once it is turned off. I asked for a wiring schematic but they said they did not have one. I think the dealer will make it right. They have been great so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
That makes more sense, with the exception of where did the second converter come from? In parallel you would only need one. If wired properly in parallel a single battery disconnect is all you would need. If you have it rewired double and triple check it afterwards.
The answer is the Xantrex OEM Freedom X 1200 watt Inverter is NOT a Charger. It will not recharge any battery.

If the solar is connected to the refrigerator battery then it is the only thing recharging the battery.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #22

So I just went to the trailer and did some checking. I actually found a negative cable tucked in behind one of the batteries. I chased it to the negative terminal of the other battery. So I connected it and boom.....parallel batteries. BUT.....now my battery disconnect is totally in-op. It does absolutely nothing. Another problem is that the batteries are both at different charge levels. I think I am going to have to disconnect them and charge them to full separately before I use them in parallel. Or just request new batteries from the dealer since they didnt install them correctly to begin with.

On a side note. I got all the paper work related to my fridge. No where in the owners manual or install guide is the electrical info for it. They are generic manuals related to a number of whirlpool fridge's. I will do some more research.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #23

Quote:
So I just went to the trailer and did some checking. I actually found a negative cable tucked in behind one of the batteries. I chased it to the negative terminal of the other battery. So I connected it and boom.....parallel batteries. BUT.....now my battery disconnect is totally in-op. It does absolutely nothing. Another problem is that the batteries are both at different charge levels. I think I am going to have to disconnect them and charge them to full separately before I use them in parallel. Or just request new batteries from the dealer since they didnt install them correctly to begin with.

On a side note. I got all the paper work related to my fridge. No where in the owners manual or install guide is the electrical info for it. They are generic manuals related to a number of whirlpool fridge's. I will do some more research.
You may want to put it back like you found it and point it out to the dealer. Let them wire it and figure out the disconnect. I'd also ask for new batteries as they may never equalize.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #24

Quote:

Please don't put the batteries in parallel when they are not both fully charged, or at least at exactly the same voltage. A 1V difference in voltage creates fire starting currents between them - I found out the hard way.

I re-paralleled 2 batteries that were at significantly different charge states - one was full, the other was unknown. I forgot to measure the voltage of the unknown to check. The insulation on my parallel cables (6 ga) melted, and the wires glowed cherry red. The lesser battery was venting pretty violently, and the glowing wire lit the hydrogen off. Pretty blue flames from the battery vents. The rapid discharge caused the good battery to bulge the top and also vent. I was able to stop the flames and melting wires by cutting the parallel cables with lineman's pliers. Because both batteries were in the same box (with the top off), all the damage was contained within the box.

I used the remains of the batteries for core charges on 2 6V golf cart batteries at Costco. No more parallel for me. I also installed a cut-off switch on the outside of the battery box (see pic). I installed GC-2s and a cut-off switch on the outside of the box from the get-go on my new A-frame.

Your fridge battery has already been abused (run down to below 10.5V). It will never match up well with the other one.

Personally, I like the idea of banks of GC-2 batteries from Costco or Sam's Club. They cost under $100 ea, they weigh about 65lbs each so I can actually lift them in and out, a pair provides 205-232 AH (specs vary from year to year), and their intended use in golf carts does not vary much from the use in RVs. They typically are spec'd for 800 cycles to 50% (marine/RV 12V batteries are spec'd at 200-400 cycles). Battery boxes are readily available for them.

Perhaps you can find a model number on the front or inside of the fridge, and use that on-line to find the power spec. I've often found a fridge model plate hidden behind the bottom trim piece. Another alternative is to figure out the cu ft capacity of your fridge, then look at the power draws of similar size fridges.

hope this helps
Fred W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cutoff switch 23Apr2016.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	187228  
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #25

Why do the batteries draw down while plugged in.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie63 View Post
Why do the batteries draw down while plugged in.
The converter should be charging or maintaining the charge while plugged in.

The OP is concerned about batteries drawing down while driving, and/or just the house battery is being charged because the fridge battery is not wired in correctly.

Many of us store our campers not being plugged in. When not plugged in, the batteries draw down in a matter of a couple of weeks from parasitic charges - propane/CO alarm, stereo/entertainment center keep-alive, appliance control boards if they don't have an off switch.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #27

I put everything back how I found it after trouble shooting it. The trailer is only a month old and is going back to the dealer at the end of October for our 90 day punch list. I am going to talk to them about what I have found and ask for new batteries. Or at least one new battery at the very least. I am going to show them what FR said and hope for the best.

Tags
battery