Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Bill for your use it's best value, my sears battery was as good as the Interstates. Suspect they are made very close together in a faraway place, just change the dye color for different labels. You know like sneakers. Watch the ratings and match your existing terminals/lug connectors.
__________________

__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
RPAspey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central PA
Posts: 973
one observation, you stated you charge the battery every other week. you might be letting you battery discharge too much, causing a little damage each time. if you don't have a battery disconnect, consider charging more often.

by the way, the original battery in my camper lasted almost 8 years. it was an interstate deep cycle. my new ones, Trojan t-145s.
__________________

__________________
2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
fivecodys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
one observation, you stated you charge the battery every other week. you might be letting you battery discharge too much, causing a little damage each time. if you don't have a battery disconnect, consider charging more often.

by the way, the original battery in my camper lasted almost 8 years. it was an interstate deep cycle. my new ones, Trojan t-145s.
That's a good point.
I was trying to avoid over charging and boiling off the water.
I will consider changing my charging schedule.
Thanks for the input.

Bill
__________________
2009 Flagstaff 8528 RKSS
2007 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8
Pullrite Superglide 14K
Air Lift 5000
Prodigy Brake Controller

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
That's a good point.
I was trying to avoid over charging and boiling off the water.
I will consider changing my charging schedule.
Thanks for the input.

Bill
If the camper is parked at home, why don't you plug it into shorepower. The convertor's charger will trickle charge it. Mine's always plugged in at home...2 1/2 years and not issue. If you're concerned about overcharging, just put a 'battery tender' on it.

Dave
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
fivecodys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
If the camper is parked at home, why don't you plug it into shorepower. The convertor's charger will trickle charge it. Mine's always plugged in at home...2 1/2 years and not issue. If you're concerned about overcharging, just put a 'battery tender' on it.

Dave
Hey Dave.
How's it going?
I am hooked to shore power here at the house.
I flip the breaker off (no pun intended) and let the trailer sit for a week or so, then I turn it on for a few days and then back off.
Roughly a two week cycle.
I was warned about leaving the trailer plugged in all the time and how it could harm the battery by boiling off the water.
Not sure if that's true or not.
I did get 4-1/2 years out of the battery so I'm not really complaining.
I have been pretty faithful to check the battery's water level.
Seems like I'm always out there dinking around with something.

You guys still ejoying the rig?

Bill
__________________
2009 Flagstaff 8528 RKSS
2007 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8
Pullrite Superglide 14K
Air Lift 5000
Prodigy Brake Controller

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
Hey Dave.
How's it going?
I am hooked to shore power here at the house.
I flip the breaker off (no pun intended) and let the trailer sit for a week or so, then I turn it on for a few days and then back off.
Roughly a two week cycle.
I was warned about leaving the trailer plugged in all the time and how it could harm the battery by boiling off the water.
Not sure if that's true or not.
I did get 4-1/2 years out of the battery so I'm not really complaining.
I have been pretty faithful to check the battery's water level.
Seems like I'm always out there dinking around with something.

You guys still ejoying the rig?

Bill
Hey Bill...our camper is plugged into shorepower 365 days/year with the convertor powered up. I believe that newer campers all have convertors with 3 stage battery charging. I just check the battery water levels twice per year usually when winterizing and de-winterizing.

Still really enjoying the camper...no issues to speak of. This year we're doing few camping trips but staying longer.

I usually don't point out spelling/grammar miscues but it should read 'I'm always out there drinking a round with someone'!

Happy camping...

Dave
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
I'm with Dave mine is plugged 365 24/7
Unless running down the road.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
fivecodys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 318
When I get the new battery I will give that a try.
It's not a problem as I put in a 30 amp circuit at the house so we could run the A/C in the trailer whenever we were loading/unloading.

Thanks to all for the input.
It is appreciated.

Bill
__________________

__________________
2009 Flagstaff 8528 RKSS
2007 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8
Pullrite Superglide 14K
Air Lift 5000
Prodigy Brake Controller

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.