Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Battery removal

My wife and I are scheduled to take delivery of our new Sunseeker 2300 sometime around the first of November. We are having a pad prepared with a metal “car port” type of cover to protect it from the elements.

We live in North Idaho where winter temperatures can drop down below zero on occasion. I have read that it is advisable to remove the coach battery to prevent it from freezing. I also understand that it is recommended that the generator be operated periodically during the winter.

Does the coach battery supply the power to start the generator? If so, how is one supposed to start the generator with the battery removed?

I presume it is acceptable to leave the battery in the engine compartment of the motor home. (I have lived in various cold climates and have never removed a vehicle battery during the winter with no adverse consequences.) If so, is it really necessary to remove the one in the coach? The thought of disconnecting/moving/reconnecting the battery on a monthly basis during the winter is not particularly appealing.

Sorry for all the naďve questions, but a Class C newbie who lives in the land of winter ice and snow needs to know.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #2

If you are going to keep the unit plugged in during the winter months, I would not remove the battery. You will however have to check the water level to make sure it does not become dry. You can put a trickle charger on the house battery to keep it somewhat warm. I would run the generator at least once a month. You will have to turn the AC on so as to put some pressure on the generator. If possible during the winter months if you can take the unit for a couple laps around the block this would help all the drive related parts.

cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #3

Cardinal4fun – Thanks for the input. I think my best option is to use a trickle charger on the coach battery. That will require running a 200 ft. extension cord to the pad, but so be it.

I plan on using a ceramic space heater and coach lights to put a load on the generator while it is being operated. I assume that should be sufficient.

I also plan on taking the unit for a short spin (hopefully not literally) on a monthly basis during the winter.

As much as the winter conditions in North Idaho can be a hassle at times, it is the snow that falls during that time of year that makes possible the verdant forests and numerous clear-water lakes, streams, and rivers that provide such great close-by camping experiences during the other seasons. The snowy part of winter usually lasts from around mid-November to mid-March in this neck of the woods. Any inconvenience is a small price to pay, in my opinion, for the benefits it provides.

Thank you again for your quick response to my inquiry.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Villa Estate 392FLFB

make sure your charger has a 'float' so it wont cook a deep cycle battery
Old 10-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #5

To answer your question about starting the generator with the coach battery, my Sunseeker allows me to start the generator when the motorcoach motor is running. I found this out because my battery was dead while camping and didn't have enough juice to turn over the generator.

If I remember correctly, I don't think the generator will run without a coach battery installed--I may be mistaken. I'm going to try this weekend and see what happens.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #6

Further to my earlier question, is it possible to keep both batteries (coach and engine compartment) in my Sunseeker charged by hooking a trickle/float type charger to only one of them? In other words, are the batteries electrically interconnected if the battery disconnect switch is not actuated?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #7

Here's what I know. I am having battery issues and had been limping along on one 12v this summer!

If my coach battery goes dead, the MH battery is not affected--still turned the engine over and MH battery was in very good shape.

With dead coach batteries, I can start the MH engine in order to start the generator since the alternator in the MH will charge my coach batteries.

Also with dead coach batteries, I can start the MH and run our slide.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #8

Thanks for your input MikeInColo.

To be more specific, if I put a charger on the engine compartment battery, will it also keep the coach battery charged?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Measure voltage on all the batteries and take note. Now put the charger on and measure again. If they all show an increase in voltage, then you are charging all of them. If not, then NO, you will have to charge individually. This may be easier that tracing the wiring and trying to figure it out.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #10

Thanks windrider for the tip. I will try this approach when I finally take delivery of the Sunseeker.

Tags
battery