Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Riverton, Utah
Posts: 60
Battery Tender Install Questions

I'm not getting a response from the manufacturer so hopefully someone here has experience with battery Tenders. I just purchased our first travel trailer, new from the dealer. It has two Interstate HD24-DP 12v batteries connected in parallel and they are located inside plastic battery boxes on the A-frame just behind the propane tanks, so technically "outside" of the trailer. Based on the install instructions I am assuming this set-up is considered "when battery is outside vehicle". Instructions tell me to connect the red hot lead to the positive terminal on the battery and the negative lead to a 24 inch long 6-gauge battery cable that is then connected to the negative battery post.

My neighbor who has had many travel trailers and currently also uses the Tender Junior (he recommended it to me) just simply connected the red tender lead to the positive post of one of the two batteries and the negative lead to the negative post of the same battery. So essentially we have the tender connected directly to just one of the batteries without the 24 inch extra negative cable.


1) Is this connection correct? If not, what is the correct connection? I plan to leave the tender connected indefinitely during the summer while the trailer is parked on our RV pad at home.

2) What is the purpose/need of the 24 inch extension?

3) Will this connection charge both batteries at the same time?


Thank you for any assistance. I just don't want to create any potential hazards or issues!
__________________

__________________
Ted & Gail
2016 Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
tgduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 326
This should help:
Battery School | Batteriesnorthwest.com | Connect Your Batteries for Optimum Efficiency
__________________

__________________
2016 Microlite 21DS
2014 Ram 1500 QC 6 cyl. 8 spd.
Blue Ox SwayPro
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgduffy View Post
I'm not getting a response from the manufacturer so hopefully someone here has experience with battery Tenders. I just purchased our first travel trailer, new from the dealer. It has two Interstate HD24-DP 12v batteries connected in parallel and they are located inside plastic battery boxes on the A-frame just behind the propane tanks, so technically "outside" of the trailer. Based on the install instructions I am assuming this set-up is considered "when battery is outside vehicle". Instructions tell me to connect the red hot lead to the positive terminal on the battery and the negative lead to a 24 inch long 6-gauge battery cable that is then connected to the negative battery post.

My neighbor who has had many travel trailers and currently also uses the Tender Junior (he recommended it to me) just simply connected the red tender lead to the positive post of one of the two batteries and the negative lead to the negative post of the same battery. So essentially we have the tender connected directly to just one of the batteries without the 24 inch extra negative cable.


1) Is this connection correct? If not, what is the correct connection? I plan to leave the tender connected indefinitely during the summer while the trailer is parked on our RV pad at home.

2) What is the purpose/need of the 24 inch extension?

3) Will this connection charge both batteries at the same time?


Thank you for any assistance. I just don't want to create any potential hazards or issues!
One battery tender is really not designed for two batteries so I'm not sure how well it would work. But if I was using one I would connect the negative to one battery then the positive to the other battery.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
One battery tender is really not designed for two batteries so I'm not sure how well it would work. But if I was using one I would connect the negative to one battery then the positive to the other battery.
My Battery Minder will handle 3 batteries at the same time.

I think you can hook red to positive and black to negative. Either battery as they are connected in parallel.

I've had GREAT results with this product. My tractor and motorcycle batteries last 8 to 10 years. This should be perfect for maintaining your deep cycle batteries. The anti-sulfation technology is great.
__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 3,303
A Tender is not a 'fast charger'. It takes a while, but if it is a "smart" tender it will sense a full charge and shut off, or go into maintenance mode. I use the Battery Tender on my ATV battery, since it is just one 12v battery. But no matter how many batteries you connect in parallel, your system (if in parallel) is 12V.

On my boat, however, I have a Minnkota 3 bank charger. I have two batteries in series for my 24v trolling motor, and one 12v battery for starting the outboard. But I ran each of the 3 separate leads to each of the 3 batteries. Works best that way.

Battery Tenders are about $20 (?) or so......if I was going to do what you are, I'd simply get two battery tenders, one for each battery. Note that most of the cheaper ones don't give much if any readout as to percent charge. My Minnkota charger indicates percent charge (via LED lights, not any actual readout).

If you plug to your house with a 30 amp plug (electrician installed ours), you'll be charging all the batteries via the camper itself.........won't need the tender.
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
A Tender is not a 'fast charger'. It takes a while, but if it is a "smart" tender it will sense a full charge and shut off, or go into maintenance mode. I use the Battery Tender on my ATV battery, since it is just one 12v battery. But no matter how many batteries you connect in parallel, your system (if in parallel) is 12V.

On my boat, however, I have a Minnkota 3 bank charger. I have two batteries in series for my 24v trolling motor, and one 12v battery for starting the outboard. But I ran each of the 3 separate leads to each of the 3 batteries. Works best that way.

Battery Tenders are about $20 (?) or so......if I was going to do what you are, I'd simply get two battery tenders, one for each battery. Note that most of the cheaper ones don't give much if any readout as to percent charge. My Minnkota charger indicates percent charge (via LED lights, not any actual readout).

If you plug to your house with a 30 amp plug (electrician installed ours), you'll be charging all the batteries via the camper itself.........won't need the tender.
Just be careful with leaving it plugged into the house. The converter may not have the capability to sense full charge and will cause an overcharge condition. In this instance a good battery maintainer is a better choice.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 132
As an electronics tek since '58 and an EE since '67.....I never saw the requirement for a battery "tender".

Also.....the guys at battery school are putting out BS.

They show separate drawings of two batteries and claim one is more efficient than the other......NOT !
__________________
2012 Ecoboost Screw, 3.31 (yes....really) rear end.
2016 Flagstaff 26FKWS, about 7500 loaded
Retired AF Mustang.....Picker always looking to jam.
Major Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
My Battery Minder will handle 3 batteries at the same time.

I think you can hook red to positive and black to negative. Either battery as they are connected in parallel.

I've had GREAT results with this product. My tractor and motorcycle batteries last 8 to 10 years. This should be perfect for maintaining your deep cycle batteries. The anti-sulfation technology is great.
I'll echo these points. I've had the same battery tender hooked up just like this to my two dump trailer batteries for over six years now --- never had an issue.
__________________
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 931
1, The "DP" (Dual Purpose) series is not a true deep cycle and only has about 75AH capacity per battery in a group 24 size.

2. A single tender should be fine.

3. The batteries should be fully charged by a converter or external charger before being stored with a maintainer.

4. This battery chemistry should get an "Equalization Charge" from time-to-time.
__________________
2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 1,547
a Battery Tender is an excellent choice, even on parallel battery connections (pos to pos and neg to neg)...

Been using one for many years on boat battery, and have been very happy.

at the low currents that the battery tender supplies, the resistance of the connecting wires between the batteries should be negligible...

If you have any doubts, disconnect one wire from one of the batteries hooked in parallel, and use the Tender on each battery, alternating Tender connections from one battery to the other every 2 or 3 weeks. That way each battery gets what IT needs without consideration of another.

When you do have to replace any battery, always replace in NEW pairs with two identical batteries.

Quote:
Also.....the guys at battery school are putting out BS.

They show separate drawings of two batteries and claim one is more efficient than the other......NOT !
If you were pulling large load currents, like 80-100 amps or more (starting a large auto engine), the parallel connection shown in the battery school picture could present a problem in unequal battery efficiency, but at low load currents like 10-30 amps in your camper using large (typical 2 gauge connector wires) wires between the batteries, efficiency should be for all practical purposes equal.

My 2cents worth...
__________________

__________________


2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.