Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #21

I think your original thought is right on track, an additional battery. Since you say that you really can't get 'more' solar, due to either weather or where you are parked, then the only option to 'extend' your off-grid time, without a generator, is more battery STORAGE.

The question of whether you should get another 'type' of battery might be more of a preference, but I'd not do anything other than simply extend your off-grid stay by adding another of the exact same size/type battery you already have. FLA batteries are just fine for providing your power, and they are simple, easy to find, and economical compared to others, unless you just 'want' to spend more money.

Don't overcomplicate it - your current setup seems to already be working just fine.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Your GP-PWM-30-SB uses the battery voltage to measure the SOC.
& is an acceptable indicator for our usage currently. Your system looks nice, too

Cheers
Old 02-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

A Victron monitor is on my wish list, but like Steve, I'm just going to use the GoPower panel read out for SOC unless I feel it is not helping me manage my power down the road.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #24

For bang for the buck, it's very hard to beat 2 6V GC-2 batteries from Costco/Sam's Club - about $95 each. That gives more than double your current power, and more than a pair of Group 24 deep cycle 12V batts that cost more. The GC-2 batteries are slightly taller, so check the clearance in your battery box(es).

The dual GC-2s give me 4 nights dry camping with 50% duty cycle on the propane heater. I could easily go a week if there is no heater use, but water and fridge food will run out before the week is up in my A-frame.

I know you said you didn't like a pair of 6V, but personally I like the rugged golf cart batteries unless I'm spending the big bucks for Surette or Trojan deep cycle 12V.

just my thoughts
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame with dual Costco/Interstate GC-2 6V batteries
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
For bang for the buck, it's very hard to beat 2 6V GC-2 batteries from Costco/Sam's Club - about $95 each. That gives more than double your current power, and more than a pair of Group 24 deep cycle 12V batts that cost more. The GC-2 batteries are slightly taller, so check the clearance in your battery box(es).

The dual GC-2s give me 4 nights dry camping with 50% duty cycle on the propane heater. I could easily go a week if there is no heater use, but water and fridge food will run out before the week is up in my A-frame.

I know you said you didn't like a pair of 6V, but personally I like the rugged golf cart batteries unless I'm spending the big bucks for Surette or Trojan deep cycle 12V.

just my thoughts
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame with dual Costco/Interstate GC-2 6V batteries
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
The two 6 volts won't give you any more then 2 12's . costco interstate 6 volts 210 amp hrs no more then 2 12's
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
The two 6 volts won't give you any more then 2 12's . costco interstate 6 volts 210 amp hrs no more then 2 12's
On the contrary, a Group 24 12V battery is rated at 80AH. A pair in parallel gives 160AH. The Costco/Interstate GC-2 is rated at 210AH (or more, depending on the year). If you fit bigger batteries (whether 6V or 12V), you gain capacity and weight.

The GC-2 has more capacity than the same size Group 24 due to greater height, and fewer cell walls taking up space.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #27

Quote:
I am actually revisiting this idea as I continue to look at price, availability & ease of install for my unit. My A frame space would also play nice with a dual 6v box. As mentioned, it would more than double existing capacity & give that cushion we're looking for.

In the odd event of some kind of failure it's easy enough to cheaply find & drop in a single 12v to get by.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #28

Quote:
On the contrary, a Group 24 12V battery is rated at 80AH. A pair in parallel gives 160AH. The Costco/Interstate GC-2 is rated at 210AH (or more, depending on the year). If you fit bigger batteries (whether 6V or 12V), you gain capacity and weight.

The GC-2 has more capacity than the same size Group 24 due to greater height, and fewer cell walls taking up space.

Fred W
you may also go up with 12 volts group 31 and get 150 amp hrs per battery . I do know my one 12 volt battery will do more then one 6 volt in our 12 volt systems
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
you may also go up with 12 volts group 31 and get 150 amp hrs per battery . I do know my one 12 volt battery will do more then one 6 volt in our 12 volt systems

150 amp hours from a group 31 battery might be a little optimistic. Most I've run across tend to be more in the 115 ah neighborhood with 125 ah being the top of the range in most descriptions of the group 31 battery. Nice part about the group 31 is that it will fit on most group 27 boxes. A good option if you can only carry ONE battery.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #30

Boondock

I would add two Interstate group 31v deep cycle batteries. I have tried the more expensive AGM batteries and for me, they did not justify double the cost. I watch mine w/ a volt gauge. Would like to have a good accurate charge monitor, but do not want to spend the $200. We use a small generator to run an oil filled heater in the evening to build up heat and recharge batteries. We use a comforter at night. First person up in the morning, fires up the furnace.The heater fan is a power hog. I bought a Kill-A-Watt meter to see what each electrical item uses. We can camp for 5-6 days if we use camp showers. This w/ temps during day in 50's and a night mid 30's.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, upgrade