Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Battery Upgrade to AGM

I am thinking of upgrading my batteries on my Sandpiper 303BH to 2 AGM 12 volt batteries. Just looking for some advice on what type, size, series etc... and do I need to change my inverter/charger or any modifications for maintaining them?

Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmegjadpas View Post
I am thinking of upgrading my batteries on my Sandpiper 303BH to 2 AGM 12 volt batteries. Just looking for some advice on what type, size, series etc... and do I need to change my inverter/charger or any modifications for maintaining them?
Your converter/battery charger built in (not inverter) will read the two batteries (Not four as in diagram) as one big battery and charge your two batteries as one just fine as is. 2 x 100 amp hour batteries wired like this will give you 200 amp hour of 12V DC battery power.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

While AGM batteries are pretty cool; for capacity, wet cell batteries have them beat.

Check the Amp Hours of two of the best AGM batteries available and compare it to ONE deep cycle 12 volt wet cell battery. I have done this comparison many times on the forum. For half the money you can get twice the "hang time" with wet cell technology.

What model are you thinking about getting and I will do the comparison for you.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: docx How to correctly interconnect multiple batteries to form one larger bank.docx (45.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: pdf Battery Ratings.pdf (177.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: doc MF Batteries.doc (112.5 KB, 42 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #4

I had to replace the battery in my 2005 wildcat yesterday. I had seen that the factory? installed battery was not a deep cycle type battery.
I called my dealer to get some info on battery types and learned that deep cycle batteries are more expensive and heavier than cranking power type batteries. AND since I keep my rv plugged in while it is parked in my driveway, it is getting a trickle charge all the time. I learned from my dealer that deep cycle batteries get a charge memory, where the others do not. By the way, I bought my rv in September 2004 and the factory installed battery lasted me until now.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think your dealer needs to go back to battery school

Quote:
Originally Posted by still-learnin View Post
I had to replace the battery in my 2005 wildcat yesterday. I had seen that the factory? installed battery was not a deep cycle type battery.
I called my dealer to get some info on battery types and learned that deep cycle batteries are more expensive and heavier than cranking power type batteries.

True, they are more $$ and are heavier because deep cycle batteries have much thicker plates compared to starting batteries. The major difference between a true deep cycle battery and others is that the plates are SOLID Lead plates - not sponge.
This site explains it well - Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

AND since I keep my rv plugged in while it is parked in my driveway, it is getting a trickle charge all the time.

Exactly. The converters in today's RVs offer three-stages. A common converter is the 55amp WFCO 8955. The "float mode" or third stage provides a trickle charge when there has been no load for two days.

I learned from my dealer that deep cycle batteries get a charge memory, where the others do not.

Lead-acid batteries (flooded/wet, gel and AGM) do not have a memory effect. This is an expensive myth because some people then believe that their battery needs to be fully discharged before recharging. This can only lead to early battery failure.

Trojan Battery Users Guide

By the way, I bought my rv in September 2004 and the factory installed battery lasted me until now.
I would say you kept good care of your battery .
As explained in the FAQ I linked to above, how any battery is used, how it is maintained and charged, temperature, and other factors will effect its lifespan.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
While AGM batteries are pretty cool; for capacity, wet cell batteries have them beat.

Check the Amp Hours of two of the best AGM batteries available and compare it to ONE deep cycle 12 volt wet cell battery. I have done this comparison many times on the forum. For half the money you can get twice the "hang time" with wet cell technology.

What model are you thinking about getting and I will do the comparison for you.
Thanks herk for the attached image and manuals! I just purchased a new trailer and was wanting to add a second battery. I knew to connect the two batteries + to + and - to - by the same lenght cable, but didn't know if I connected the trailer connections back to the batteries using the + and - on battery "A" or use the + on battery "A" and the - on battery "B".

Another question, I carry a small portable generator and a 12V battery charger when boondocking. If I use the battery charger, do I connect the clamps from the charger to the + and - on one battery (battery "A") or do I use the + from "A" and the - from battery "B"?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbus View Post
Thanks herk for the attached image and manuals! I just purchased a new trailer and was wanting to add a second battery. I knew to connect the two batteries + to + and - to - by the same lenght cable, but didn't know if I connected the trailer connections back to the batteries using the + and - on battery "A" or use the + on battery "A" and the - on battery "B".

Another question, I carry a small portable generator and a 12V battery charger when boondocking. If I use the battery charger, do I connect the clamps from the charger to the + and - on one battery (battery "A") or do I use the + from "A" and the - from battery "B"?
To charge (discharge) both batteries equally, the total resistance to include internal battery resistance must be the same.

Connecting the positive of one battery and the negative on the other battery with equal length jumpers between the two positives and the two negatives will do that.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I think your dealer needs to go back to battery school
I think so too.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #9

Out of curiosity, is anyone running a Blue top Optima? It's rated for for RVs per their site...
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor View Post
Out of curiosity, is anyone running a Blue top Optima? It's rated for for RVs per their site...
Do a search on Optima. I did a cost vs AH comparison some time ago that shows they are not worth the money IMO.

what will I gain?

Optima D34M Blue Top Battery - 750 CCA: BatteryMart.com

The blue top battery is only 55 AH. For the same money you can buy a true deep cycle 12 volt battery with more than twice the capacity.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW

Tags
12 volt, agm, battery, charging, led pad, upgrade