Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

Battery Venting

Ok I know common sense says batteries s/b vented? Our 2-6v are not. Is this correct?? Somethings are not discovered right away...
Hijacker double pivot slider
hatstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #2

Pesonally I would vent them somehow Hydrogen gas can accumlate and the more it builds and one spark could leave you with a big hole blasted out the side of your trailer. or could hurt or kill some one.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Here's an interesting and easy to follow article packed with tips on battery venting. Batteries H2 Venting - Free Hydrogen Vent

I'll be venting my battery pack this week and am glad I ran into this information.

I think most of the problems occur when batteries are overcharged and run low on fluid/water/acid. I sure hope someone with a solid education in batteries chimes-in and helps us with what we need to know.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatstomper View Post
Ok I know common sense says batteries s/b vented? Our 2-6v are not. Is this correct?? Somethings are not discovered right away...
Stomper, are the two 6 volt batteries on the inside or outside of your rig? Do you maybe have a picture of your setup?
Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
Stomper, are the two 6 volt batteries on the inside or outside of your rig? Do you maybe have a picture of your setup?
They are in the front storage of my 5'er, sorry no pic. They are in separate battery boxes. I got basically the same info from the service tech where we bought our trailer. If you maintain the batteries and are not charging 24/7/365 it is not an issue. My thinking is, get a double batterie box and a vent kit and be done with it.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #6

This is my set up.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
Old 07-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #7

Thanks, onetonford. Are the boxes vented threw the bottom of the bay?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #8

My batteries are on-board/inside. The main concern is should the engine's alternator regulator (Alternator produces 14.40 amps) fail to shut down after a full charge the batteries will produce hydrogen gas. I'll be running a 3" PVC pipe, with internal 12 volt fan controlled by a toggle on/off switch. The PVC will run to an outside wall, capped with vent screen on the outside. I'll click it on while driving and will probably shut it down (Depending on noise factor) when plugged into shore power, as only a 13.40 Amp charge is being sent from the converter. I think it is good to check for hot batteries by hand to make sure they are not over-charging or have lost fluid. When I win the lotto I'll install all sealed batteries.

I checked out a couple of battery vent kits you mentioned and they appear to be just what the doctor ordered.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatstomper View Post
Thanks, onetonford. Are the boxes vented threw the bottom of the bay?
The top and bottom of the boxes are identical and when you use as bottom the hole just sticks out of the bottom.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat

Tags
battery