Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Battery winterizing

Just wondering if I need to remove the battery for the winter? I plan to keep the trailer plugged in all winter but I'm not sure of the type of charger/inverter I have. Do I need to worry about overcharging?

2014- 4
Agewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #2

I take both of my batteries out and put them in the work shop. I put a smart charger on them. They are inside for the winter. When I'm staying at a place for a length of time, I turn the batteries to the off position after they have had a good charge on them.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

Yes remove them they can freeze with no use and as Pipeman said put them on a smart charger someplace warm.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Average Joe

Are these batteries different than a duel purpose battery in regards to freezing? I have several types of vehicles with batteries that sit outside all winter and have never frozen? Just wondering.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #5

RV Batteries and a Cold Winter Posted by RV Doctor
What is the best thing for RV batteries during the winter? I have a new motorhome and this will be its first winter. Should I leave the batteries in and keep the coach plugged in or should I take them out and store them for the winter? How about the engine battery? Some people take them out, some people leave them in. Which is best? If I take them out should they be charged once in a while?
Gary, (Ludlow, KY)

Gary, it is always recommended to completely remove all the batteries during a really harsh winter. Fully charge them before storing them in a clean, dry location in a warmer shed or garage. A fully charged battery will freeze only if the temperature dips to 55 or 60-degrees below zero, while a discharged battery may freeze at or near 20-degrees above zero. But it’s still best to remove them from the RV and avoid freezing temperatures when possible. There is probably no need to apply a charge during the actual storage period, but fully charge them just prior to re-installing them in the spring.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:27 AM   #6

You batteries will not freeze, but they could gas if you have WFCO convertor. I have never taken my batteries out for the winter, just to lazy. I don't know if your temps drop below -50 or -60 ? But you would need to check the water monthly and add as needed. Maybe you have two or three cars but only drive one daily do you take the others out? do they freeze? I'm also plugged in 24/7 at home. It's a good idea to take them out but like I said I'm to lazy and they are heavy and would throw my back out.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agewon View Post
Just wondering if I need to remove the battery for the winter? I plan to keep the trailer plugged in all winter but I'm not sure of the type of charger/inverter I have. Do I need to worry about overcharging?
We leave ours in. Ensure electrolyte topped up and fully charged before entering hibernation. No need to keep the rig continuously plugged in - just check battery status every three weeks or so and charge as necessary. Even at -30C, it only takes a few hrs of being plugging in to bring the battery from a half to three quarter charge back up to full.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
We leave ours in. Ensure electrolyte topped up and fully charged before entering hibernation. No need to keep the rig continuously plugged in - just check battery status every three weeks or so and charge as necessary. Even at -30C, it only takes a few hrs of being plugging in to bring the battery from a half to three quarter charge back up to full.
The reason I leave my plugged in is to stop any mildew, I run a 1500 watt heater at 60 degrees so I don't build up moisture inside is really the only reason. If it also drops to the low 20 I use my tank heaters also, My discharged valves are exposed but they have heat tape wrapped on them.....

Old 11-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #9

I suppose it depends on where you live. I live in Minnesota and I know from personal experience a discharged battery will freeze and crack. I always put my batteries in the basement for the winter.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #10

As the article I posted says a discharged battery will freeze around 20 deg and a charged one can freeze at -50 deg. Maintaining your Battery is the key to leaving it in if you just walk a way it can freeze or will more than likely be useless in spring. All I'm saying is if you want to spend money every spring for a new battery leave it in the trailer and do nothing to it.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #11

Lead acid batteries get an extended life if they are kept cold. During the spring/summer/fall charge it overnight every 30 days. Self-discharge slows the colder the battery is so you can get away with doing it only once in the middle of the winter.

Since you'll be leaving your camper plugged in you'll get the best of both worlds - extended battery life since they'll be cold, and no need to remember to recharge. I agree you should check the water level often until you are sure your converter isn't boiling it off.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
As the article I posted says a discharged battery will freeze around 20 deg and a charged one can freeze at -50 deg. Maintaining your Battery is the key to leaving it in if you just walk a way it can freeze or will more than likely be useless in spring. All I'm saying is if you want to spend money every spring for a new battery leave it in the trailer and do nothing to it.
Thanks Mark0224, I really didn't know the temp that will be bad for them. If I wasn't plugged in 24/7 I would never think of doing that. I have also learned that I have to start my truck atleast one a month also, thanks for the info..

Tags
battery, winter, winterize