Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #1

Battery wire diagram

Hi all.

I need to confirm something, i walked away from converting my 12v battery to 2 6v batteries. now i dont know how the battery wires go on the batteres!!

I have 3 wires.

1 black
1 black with white tape
1 red with white tape.

which are positive and which are negative?!!?

i've already blown a 30 amp fuse when i plugged in to shore power
bradaz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #2

I figured it out. Was a mess. I’ll take pictures next time like I told myself to do. Black and red wire with white tape was positive and negative. And the black wire was for the jack
Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
Site Team

Glad you got it. There is no guaranteed wiring standard for Rv's (unless you count guaranteed to be different). Usually there is one heavy ground wire connected to the frame close to the battery and may be several hot wires (connected to positive) for converter , jack and maybe slide. Get some Red and Black plastic tape and mark them so you will know next time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #4

That could have have been ugly.

Curious, do you have a catastrophic inline fuse for your battery bank in case of a short? you can get battery mounted 300 amp fuses or ANL inline fuse you can mount within a foot of the battery. If not, you may wish to consider this important safety feature the factory doesn't install.

WanderMan: The Importance Of A Catastrophe Fuse For Your RV Battery Systems

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/blue...CABEgIDzfD_BwE
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
That could have have been ugly.

Curious, do you have a catastrophic inline fuse for your battery bank in case of a short? you can get battery mounted 300 amp fuses or ANL inline fuse you can mount within a foot of the battery. If not, you may wish to consider this important safety feature the factory doesn't install.

WanderMan: The Importance Of A Catastrophe Fuse For Your RV Battery Systems

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/blue...CABEgIDzfD_BwE

Yes it, well, was ugly. I blew the 30 amp fuse and the 40 amp “Reverse battery” fuse inside the converter box. The fuses did their job and I’m great full. I do plan on installing a inline fuse when I get my solar panel but I think I just move it to the top of the priority list.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #6

If you plugged in your converter and took a multimeter to the wires by the battery, you would have at least figured out the polarity of the converter output.

I personally do not like having multiple wires hooked up to the battery terminal. I like to use power distribution blocks for all positive and negative terminals and then run only a single wire via a marine switch and inline fuse to the battery. This way if you replace the battery, you don't have to worry about polarity since it'll be traditional red/black with the wiring your run yourself.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, diagram