Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Begginer's question

Hi all,
I'm new into Pop up trailers so my apologies if this is a stupid question.
We bought a 2005 Rockwood Freedom 2270 few months ago in a very good condition. We have so far used it three times. I'm having a problem with my battery. Last time I left the trailer plugged into my 110V outlet for two days before camping and let the fridge on so it would be cool enough by the time we arrive in the park. After the 3 hours driving to the park we tried to turn on my porch light to help me to maneuver the trailer in the dark and it didn't work (fridge was using 12V during the trip), even connected to my car. Once again, when connected to the electricity everything was working fine.
The battery is charging when connected to DC, I can use the lights or fan for some time but the charge is not lasting one day.
I then started suspecting that I needed a new battery. After reading some posting I decided to try charging the battery using a charger so I bought a 3 stage one yesterday and as soon as I connected the battery to the charged it showed that the battery is 90% full. After leaving charging all night it was still showing 90% this morning.
Any idea what's going on? Can be a dead cell and whatever is working inside the battery is giving me this reading?

Thank you

Paul Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Do you happen to know how old the battery is

iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

It does sound like the battery is the problem. If it is older, or if has been run completely down a few times, it probably won't hold a charge. I ran into this in the spring on our popup. When I put the battery on the charger, it would show about 80% and then shortly it would show a full charge.

Also - you mentioned your battery is going dead while traveling. You may want to check your trailer plug to see if you have 12 volts on the DC pin for charging. I had this issue with both Fords I have had. The factory does not install the fuse or the relay that powers that circuit and send voltage to your trailer. Brakes and trailer lights worked, but until I added the fuse and relay I didn't have power to charge. this seems to be true for several makes/models. Nothing worse than pulling in for 5 days of camping in park w/o elcectric and finding your battery dead! I was able to pull the cover on the truck fuse panel and the diagram showed the sockets for that circuit.

I would guess if the battery is original its time for a new one, and then check your tow vehicle for power. If the popup doesn't have a battery disconnect switch, pull the positive wire off the battery whenever you store it to keep it from going dead, and it should last a long time.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
I don't know how old the battery is. I looked for any indication last night but couldn't find any.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Thank you very much KMP44, that seems to be exactly what is going on with my trailer. I suspect I need a new battery and will check my truck fuse panel tonight.
I'll make sure I'll give the proper maintenance to the new battery.