Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #1

Best 30 AMP SOLAR CONTROLLER

Just purchased a MH with 2-100 watt solar panels mounted on the roof and prewired down to the location where a controller would normally be mounted, but no controller. The panels are made by Go Power. The manuals that came with the MH include manuals for both the Go Power and Zamp. Does anyone have an opinion on which one is the best.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

Putting in solar this summer. I think I like this controller from Go Power the best for a 30 amp pwm. It's model GP-PWM30. There are plenty of variety to choose from including going with a MPPT type controller.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

I prefer the Bogart SC2030 controller, which works in conjunction with the Trimetric battery monitor. Nice integrated system and the controller can be installed in the basement since it communicates with the Trimetric in the coach. One system, SOC, voltages, chassis and house batteries, remote voltage sense. PWM

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #5

My GoPower has a built in mon. that I can see what is being put in or used, plus it has a function for AGM bats.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

With 200 watts of PV panels, a 20 amp controller would work well. I have a 275 watt panel charging two 6 volt AGMs (224 amp-hours) and have used a SCCM20-100 with no problems. This is a 20 amp MPPT controller from Outback Power, very compact and efficient. About $130.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #7

I bought the Go Power Overland kit and it came with this controller: Solar Panel Charge Controller 30 Amps 500 Watts - Increase Battery Life | Go Power!

It seems to work very well and has the Maximum Boost Technology that you'll definitely want. I'm not sure what other brands have.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #8

The Bogart controller has all the bells and whistles, including remote voltage sense, temperature sensor and a bunch of equalization settings. Solar is really good for battery equalization since it often has access to voltages over 15 during sunny periods. You can't really equalize with converters since they generally top out at 14 or 14.25 volts and don't have the power to do it.

2015 335DS
Old 03-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
Denver, CO

I prefer Morningstar controllers and with 200 watts of 12 volt panels a 20 amp PWM controller would be fine and inexpensive. MPPT is important with higher voltage panels and over 400 watts, but won't get you much with just 200 watts.

You can upgrade later if you expand your system.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #10

I've learned that the factory would have originally installed the Zamp ZS-30a. Does anyone have experience with that model?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #11

Look at Handy Bob's review of the Bogart stuff. If you are going to really boondock you are going to need a Victron or a Trimetric anyway to manage your SOC. I heavily researched before installing mine...

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...-2030-perfect/

2015 335DS
Old 03-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #12

Go Power, Samlex, Tracer, Bogart or a variety of other controllers will work just fine. As said already, if you are not planning to go larger than the 200w you have, a 20A PWM will work perfectly.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
Just purchased a MH with 2-100 watt solar panels mounted on the roof and prewired down to the location where a controller would normally be mounted, but no controller. The panels are made by Go Power. The manuals that came with the MH include manuals for both the Go Power and Zamp. Does anyone have an opinion on which one is the best.
First, I have say sounds like something is seriously wrong if the unit came with 200 watts on the roof and wiring, which I hope is at least 10 ga but, wow if you are sure ithat is the case.@#!? How it is never wired direct to your system without a controller.

Anyway, we currently have the GoPower 30 amp with 200 w on the roof. Last I looked that was about$129 on line.

Previously I had 200 watts with a WindyNation.com, upgraded PWM 30 amp at around $60 bucks when I bought mine.

On paper I thought that GP looked better than the WN, but having had the GP about a year, I think the WN kept the batteries topped off better. Hard to be sure, but look at price and where you will mount it. The GP mounts flush if you need it and the WN did not.

I would stay away from Zamp. All I can tell for sure about them is their stuff is way overpriced. Be. Careful about polarity in case the prewire is Zamp. I guess their connectors are reversed from most logical expectations.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #14

If they are connected in parallel (which is probably the case) 10 ga is fine...even 12 is OK and you can get a reasonable PWM controller anywhere. Voltage drop will not be a big issue since the PWM controller will always have plenty of voltage in full and even partial sun to hit the 14 volt battery voltage.

if they are in series, 12 or even 14 is fine, but you will need an MPPT controller since the voltage will be too high for PWM and it would be shedding a lot of power to avoid overvolting the 12 v batteries.

2015 335DS
Old 03-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #15

This is a new Motorhome. The panels were mounted by accident, apparently the guy at the factory didn't read the options order. A bonus for us! Thank you Dynamax. We had a ladder out to check for clearances and found them by accident when backing into the shed for the first time when we got it home. A little more digging and found it to be prewired as well. 10 ga down from the panels and 8 ga from the battery. I've ordered the Zamp ZS-30a mainly because that is what the factory puts in and I was able to find one on sale.
Thanks for all the comments.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #16

10 down and 8 over to the batteries. Sounds like Dynamax does it right. Hook it up with the controller...and you are all set.

2015 335DS
Old 03-28-2017, 11:36 PM   #17

Solar

I would give Renogy MPPT controllers a look. When I first started my solar system, I was tricked into buying a PWM controller. Then I decided to add more panels a few months later and had to go to a 40 amp controller. What a difference! I have two unused PWM units in my garage right now that will probably never see the light of day, Renogy builds a good product and has great customer service.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I would give Renogy MPPT controllers a look. When I first started my solar system, I was tricked into buying a PWM controller. Then I decided to add more panels a few months later and had to go to a 40 amp controller. What a difference! I have two unused PWM units in my garage right now that will probably never see the light of day, Renogy builds a good product and has great customer service.
Hi blackhat how are your solar panels configured in series or parallel? I have looked at the MPPT controllers and read that they are more efficient at using the power supplied from the solar panels to charge the batterys.

Thank you Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #19

Generally if you have 400 watts or less (one or two panels) there is really not much difference between MPPT and PWM. MPPT allows these multiple panels to be connected in series, therefore allowing smaller gauge wire for the interconnect and feed to the controller. In addition, bigger single panels are almost never "12V" units and require MPPT from the start, but these are usually used in larger grid tied systems. That aside, with a couple of panels running to a controller and charging a 12 volt battery there are lots of puts and takes between the controller concepts. From a technical standpoint you will find the engineers pretty evenly split for an installation of that size.

2015 335DS
Old 03-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Hi blackhat how are your solar panels configured in series or parallel? I have looked at the MPPT controllers and read that they are more efficient at using the power supplied from the solar panels to charge the batterys.

Thank you Tim

Tim.
I'm set up with 6 x 100 watt panels hooked up two strings of three panels in series, then those two strings hooked up in parallel. The 40 amp controller can handle 150 CDC max an it's best to keep the voltage as high as you can. Volts move a lot easier and with less resistance than amps. Also, high voltage requires a smaller wire gauge than high amperage. The amount of delivered watts is the same (Ohm's Law).
I have 8 x 100 watt panels into an Outback 60 amp MPPT controller at our cabin, and a 5,000 watt inverter feeding off a 1,250 amp hr battery bank. We never need power and we run a small 5K btu air conditioner, microwave, TV, well system, lighting and two fans, not all at the same time, of course, but it's there when we need it.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, solar