Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

Thumbs up Best 30a Portable Surge Protector...?

What is the best 30amp portable surge protector for the money? Where available at the lowest cost (i.e. free shipping)?

I'm not interested in one that is only good for one incident but prefer one that resets itself... Thx.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #2

IMHO the best is:Progressive Industries Portable 30AMP Electrical Management System. Ain't cheap but I bought one 4 years ago because of the protection it provides and Progressives' reputation. You can do a search but Tweety's is a good price.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

I just purchased the Progressive Industries Portable 30amp as well. It is Model Number EMS-PT30C. I did a lot of research and this seems to be the best. Lifetime Warranty on the product as well. Have not seen that on any others. Here is the link to where I found the best deal with free shipping.

Progressive Industries 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical

Was shipped quickly. I actually just received it today via UPS. They provide a tracking number and all.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrackney View Post
I just purchased the Progressive Industries Portable 30amp as well. It is Model Number EMS-PT30C. I did a lot of research and this seems to be the best. Lifetime Warranty on the product as well. Have not seen that on any others. Here is the link to where I found the best deal with free shipping.

Progressive Industries 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical

Was shipped quickly. I actually just received it today via UPS. They provide a tracking number and all.
I bought the same one from the same place.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #5

OK... PI seems like the brand to get. Is it worth paying almost $300 for the EMS or can I get by with the $89 SSP-30?

In other words, am I more likely to need basic surge protection or protection from all the "other" electrical issues? I would be interested to what problems I am most likely to face...
Old 03-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

I would still go with the more expensive protector. I debated just as you are and after reading owners horror stories on reversed polarity issues, low voltage problems and the like killing their appliances I opted with the more secure protector. If you are going to spend $$ at least get what is going to give you a peace of mind. A question to ask yourself, "If I buy the cheaper one, will I feel good about the choice and have a sense of peace about it?" I did not so that is why I spent $160 more.

Yes either way you will be protected but just not as well. Here is a graph that may help your choice.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #7

Just think what it would cost to repair/replace all your electronics, tv, stereo, microwave, circuit boards on fridge, hot water heater, furnace, etc. Well worth the added $$ to go with the EMS and for the price in pbrackneys link (nice find!) you can't go wrong.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
I'm not interested in one that is only good for one incident but prefer one that resets itself... Thx.
Surge protector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MOVs and other surge devices do not blow like fuses, but they do get "used up" by repeated spikes and have to be replaced eventually.

Surge Suppressors shunt high voltage spikes to ground through themselves getting used up in the process.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I bought the same one from the same place.
I also picked up the PT30C from Dyers. Best overall pricing b/c shipping was free and very quick delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
OK... PI seems like the brand to get. Is it worth paying almost $300 for the EMS or can I get by with the $89 SSP-30?

In other words, am I more likely to need basic surge protection or protection from all the "other" electrical issues? I would be interested to what problems I am most likely to face...
Take a moment to read through this thread about surge protectors from a couple of weeks ago.

In general, I found in my research that the PT30C offers better protection than its little brother - the SSP30 - but for 2 1/2 time the cost.

For this cost, you get protection against higher levels (Joules and Amps) and things like over/under voltage, open neutral, and reverse polarity protection, accidental 220v protection, automatic reset, etc.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #10

I have this one because of it has a relay and monitor circuit that will not active power thru it until it is correct. You have to plug in and it checks if the shore power is low, high, no ground, open nuetral. It will drop out if the power changes in any way.
Along with this if a lighting stike the MOV's will blow

Manuf. Details
This 30 amp Surge Guard unit monitors shore power continuously and shuts off when it detects excessive voltage or open neutral conditions that could damage electronic equipment in your coach. The 30 amp portable unit can be moved from coach to coach and does not require internal installation.
Additional features include:
  • Automatic reset on power restoration.<LI sizset="14" sizcache="0">Automatically shuts off the power when the following is present:
    • Open neutral
    • Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage
    <LI sizset="17" sizcache="0">Caution indicator light indicates:
    • Miswired pedestal
    • Reverse polarity
    • Elevated ground voltage
  • 2 minute 15 second reset delay protects A/C compressor.
  • Convenient plug disconnect handles.
  • 1050 Joules of power surge protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34730_r62011_New.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	11487  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote