Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Best battery charger

I am planning on getting a new model battery charger, since mine is 20+ years old and does not have the microprocessor control, and would like some suggestions.

I currently have 2x 6V Interstate golf cart batteries wired in series as a 12V bank. total Amp Hours is ~230. At some point in the future I "may" add a second identical bank, but weight may be an issue.

I have a new Yamaha 2400 generator for my 2011 Rockwood 2604, and will be doing 10 days without hookups in VT later this summer. the parks there only allow 2hrs in the AM and 2 hrs in the PM of generator time.

So....I would like to get the best value in chargers that I will be able to plug into my generator, in order to charge the battery as quickly and "correctly" as possible. The TT will also be plugged into the generator at the same time so that the TT charger will also be running. The TT charger is a WFCO 8900 series, and although it has 3 modes/stages, I have not been able to tell the number of amps it delivers.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

I don't know about using both chargers at once maybe someone else can tell you about that.I use a regular deep cycle charger for mine when I dry camp and use my generator,the same one I use for my boat batteries and it works very well.Having 4 hours of charge time you should be ok.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
I don't know about using both chargers at once maybe someone else can tell you about that.I use a regular deep cycle charger for mine when I dry camp and use my generator,the same one I use for my boat batteries and it works very well.Having 4 hours of charge time you should be ok.
what specific charger do you have, and how many AH do you use per day??
Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

I don't use a lot of juice in the course of the day.I use my lights, pump,and maybe the radio a little.The charger I have is a 12/2,That means it splits the 12amps between two banks.It puts the heaviest charge at the most dead battery and then evens out the charge between the two.
This is what it looks like it's from Cabelas,but like I said mine is a 12/2.

Tags
battery