Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Those piles of dead Lifepo4 Batteries in the article probably had some form of homemade management system or none at all and that is what killed them. Battle Borns have a built in management system that pretty much protects it from everything. But like I said they are not for everyone.
Battle Born 855-292-2831 tech support is also a plus.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Very out of date and many errors. Not much factual info in there at all.
Yer blowing smoke..he's on the ABYC steering committee, does testing for consumer magazines and the article has been updated continuously AND within the last two weeks. AND has been testing and using LI & LifePo for 7 years. And he has installed complete systems for LifePo on a number of boats...done right.

The pile of batteries is all drop ins.. and if you think a built in bms is all you need...you didn't read the article.

Enjoy your batts...I'm out.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Those piles of dead Lifepo4 Batteries in the article probably had some form of homemade management system or none at all and that is what killed them. Battle Borns have a built in management system that pretty much protects it from everything. But like I said they are not for everyone.
If you scroll to the part of the article where it talks about those failed batts... you will find the five leading causes of failure gleaned from what he found for EACH battery. You will note that a battery that does not communicate with it's external charging sources needs to have carefully managed charging sources with fully adjustable settings as well as the internal BMS. Good luck with yours.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Yer blowing smoke..he's on the ABYC steering committee, does testing for consumer magazines and the article has been updated continuously AND within the last two weeks. AND has been testing and using LI & LifePo for 7 years. And he has installed complete systems for LifePo on a number of boats...done right.

The pile of batteries is all drop ins.. and if you think a built in bms is all you need...you didn't read the article.

Enjoy your batts...I'm out.
The BattleBorn batteries stop charging so there is NO float charging. Battleborns actually internally are bigger than 100A...closer to 120A so they are never charged to their true 100%. That's just 2 of the inaccuracies...there are more.

I read the article completely that last time you posted it months ago. It's just as out of date now as it was the last time you posted it.

The best thing is...guess what kind of batteries he has in his boat? Yep...LiFePO4.

I actually like the crimpers he sells. I bought one from him.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Those BattleBorn LI batteries are the cat's meow, but can these be charged at temperatures below freezing?

I have 6 6Volt, 210 AH AGM's with 630 AH combined at 12 Volt (~300 AH usable) weighing 400 lbs., 4 of those BattleBorn batteries would weigh 120 lbs. and provide ~350 usable AH and can be recharged twice as often. They are a big investment but long term ......?
4k USD??

We don't dry camp enough to warrant that. At most we are two days between full hookups, and the generator is always with us...
Old 08-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
4k USD??

We don't dry camp enough to warrant that. At most we are two days between full hookups, and the generator is always with us...
My Battle Born LiFePO4 Batteries one leg of a solar power system. I have a Samlex EVO-2212 Inverter/Charger to provide 120VAC from the Battle Borns. I have six 100 watt Renogy solar panels with a MPPT solar charge controller to recharge the Battle Borns.

We took a trip where we could camp in a pull out and enjoy the view.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180730_201126.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	183348
Location of where photo was taken
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #27

100 amph for over a $1000. no battery is that good . stick with a good deep cycle and you'll be fine . Trojan makes a good true deep cycle . just wait till the lipo fires start . also unless you plan on using your RV full time when in storage you would need to keep the lipos at 50% are you will shorten there life cycle . you never want to take lipo below 10 to 15% . just no reason to spend that kind of money even full time it would be tough to justify .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
A lot of people move them inside so that temperature isn't an issue.

That's a viable option.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
4k USD??

4K US equals 6K CAD and with the cost of everything exploding not an option before we head south but I hope our batteries hang in for another 2 - 3 years, they're 5 years old now.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries