Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #1

Best maint free batteries to get

can anyone point me in the right direction as far as the best top of the line maintenance free batteries to get for coach batteries?
chief5631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #2

I really like my Battle Born Batteries.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief5631 View Post
can anyone point me in the right direction as far as the best top of the line maintenance free batteries to get for coach batteries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
I really like my Battle Born Batteries.
I agree with Toyman. No acid corrosion with Lithium LiFePO4 Battle Born Batteries. Ask about a Military Discount when you call them.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #4

What qualifies as "maintenance"? Adding water to wet cells? Or evaluating state of charge and recharge protocol for longest battery life?

My point is that periodically adding water (about once a year for me) is the easiest part of taking care of my flooded batteries. Much more time consuming is checking on state of charge, and deciding what (if anything) to do about it.

My LG cell phone has had a tendency to eat batteries. After research, I have found that cell phone batteries do best running between 40% and 70-80% state of charge. So I have to fight my tendency to plug in the charger when I'm at 80% - which is the right thing to do for long life of my GC-2s in the camper.

My suggestion for the ultimate "install and forget" batteries for a camper would be twice the capacity you think you need in either AGM or LiPo format. And your charger's protocol should be matched to the battery manufacturer's recommendation. All this costs money well above and beyond the $400 for a pair of GC-2s at Sams Club/Costco and a Progressive Industries converter to maintain them. Yes, I do check the water level every few months and typically have to add once a year.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

PS Just returned from first trip with the Flagstaff (installed the GC-2s a week ago).

Yes, the stock WFCO converter likely needs replacement. Looks like it won't kick down into trickle mode - the second WFCO I had that happen with.
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #5

I have two Interstate deep cycle and they work great. Interstate has good reviews.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
I have two Interstate deep cycle and they work great. Interstate has good reviews.

I burned thru my two IB24 in 18 months and they won’t warranty deep cycle past 12 months. Wfco converter was the cause for not going into bulk mode.

Switched to Progressive industries and two Trojans 6v and all is well now.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #7

Those BattleBorn LI batteries are the cat's meow, but can these be charged at temperatures below freezing?

I have 6 6Volt, 210 AH AGM's with 630 AH combined at 12 Volt (~300 AH usable) weighing 400 lbs., 4 of those BattleBorn batteries would weigh 120 lbs. and provide ~350 usable AH and can be recharged twice as often. They are a big investment but long term ......?
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 PM   #8

Any branded AGM battery should be fine but when I go AGM, it will probably be a Crown or Surette battery
Ilovemywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Those BattleBorn LI batteries are the cat's meow, but can these be charged at temperatures below freezing?

I have 6 6Volt, 210 AH AGM's with 630 AH combined at 12 Volt (~300 AH usable) weighing 400 lbs., 4 of those BattleBorn batteries would weigh 120 lbs. and provide ~350 usable AH and can be recharged twice as often. They are a big investment but long term ......?
I called Battle Born Batteries to ask about cold weather. It is true that internal BMS will not take a charge below 24F. I was told they coming out with a Lithium battery warmer for cold weather use.

But the for winter storage:
"Holds a charge for up to 1 year (without a load) without the need for a trickle charger. Great for unattended storage."
https://battlebornbatteries.com/faq/...ize-batteries/
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I burned thru my two IB24 in 18 months and they won’t warranty deep cycle past 12 months. Wfco converter was the cause for not going into bulk mode.

Switched to Progressive industries and two Trojans 6v and all is well now.

What is Wfco?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #11

Battle Born are incredible. On an Isata3 they are located in a raised step that is actually inside the MH where it would never get to 24 degrees during a time when they were being charged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battle Born_Victron-1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	183099  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
A lot of people move them inside so that temperature isn't an issue.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #13

Quote:
We are in our 7th year with Interstate deep cycle maintenance free batteries without a hitch. On alternate years we do lots of dry camping. I’ll be replacing them with Interstate again.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #14

I wouldn't get involved with Lithium unless you are also prepared to change out your charging sources & system AND are going to cycle it so many times a year that the $1k per battery (or thereabout) cost can justify itself over 20 years!
If you are looking for state of the art conventional technology the two most advanced AGM batts are they Odyssey TPPL AGM and the Firefly Carbon Foam AGM.
Standard AGMS with excellent quality and build and MANY cycles would include, Trojan, Lifeline , Deka/EastPenn , Crown, and Rolls/Surette... Can't go wrong with any of these.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I wouldn't get involved with Lithium unless you are also prepared to change out your charging sources & system AND are going to cycle it so many times a year that the $1k per battery (or thereabout) cost can justify itself over 20 years!
If you are looking for state of the art conventional technology the two most advanced AGM batts are they Odyssey TPPL AGM and the Firefly Carbon Foam AGM.
Standard AGMS with excellent quality and build and MANY cycles would include, Trojan, Lifeline , Deka/EastPenn , Crown, and Rolls/Surette... Can't go wrong with any of these.
There are many benefits beyond the lifetime cycle increases especially for an RV. Lithium Batteries maintain their charge for much longer than conventional batteries, mine maintains a steady 13.6 volts down to about 30% state of charge and stay above 13 volts to 20% SOC. This is particularly important to me as I never have to run my generator to move my slide. At 4 AM other campers appreciate me not having to start my generator for an early departure.

True if you want to get the full benefit of their fast charging time, about half that of lead acid, then you have to replace your converter section and that cost me $190. Lithium batteries allow you to discharge completely without damage instead of limiting you to 50% and that gives you over 50% move power every night when dry camping.

They do not lose their charge in storage so require less trouble to maintain.

Lithium Batteries like anything else are a personal choice. I have had them for over a year and would never go back to lead acid. I have dual Odyssey Batteries in my truck and am very unimpressed for their cost.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 08-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #16

Kept it simple. Duracell AGM from Sam's Club. Good price and they are everywhere if you have trouble. I like em, 2nd year no sweat problems..
Tommy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #17

@MLMay12...I'm well aware of the benefits of lithium and Im also aware that the "drop in" LifePo business is NEW and the claims of long life and 10000 cycles are lab claims and with proper charging and battery managment. I have a friend in a boat yard with over 70 LFPs in a pile ...ruined. That to me says that these are not ready for prime time /mainstream use and no one has had them in their RV's for even 3 years yet. I sincerely hope they become reliable and THE standard in the future...for they offer MANY benefits over conventional ... but my advice to the average RV'er is stay away for now if you are not full timing and prepared to invest a lot of time and $$ that you might not get back in a total system which includes both charging system and alternator charging (for motorhomes)system & regulation & the batts.
You may be one of the few capable... and are obviously pleased with the current (pun) benefits... but you don't have enough performance data yet to make any claims for longevity and payback....despite the nice charging/discharging benefits.
Here...read this by one of the top guys in the boating/testing industry:
https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

It's a very long article but his section on drop ins is about 10% of the way down the scroll.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #18

Quote:
What is Wfco?

WFCO is WFCO Electronics which builds a lot of converters for the RV industry and Forest River. General consensus is that it is much better to have a Progressive Smart Charger installed instead. If you are REPLACING a converter, IOTA with smartIQ is another fine maker.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Here...read this by one of the top guys in the boating/testing industry:
https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

It's a very long article but his section on drop ins is about 10% of the way down the scroll.
Very out of date and many errors. Not much factual info in there at all.

LiFePO4 have way more advantages than just number of cycles.

Weight is a huge advantage. They weigh half the weight for the same capacity. They can be put in areas that you can't put in FLA. Even AGM batteries should be in a vented compartment. LiFePO4 do not.

You can charge LiFePO4 very fast. It is basically bulk charge 100% of the time.

You can store these batteries at any depth of discharge. In fact, they live longer if stored below 100%.

A lithium converter from PD is around $200. That's not a huge sum especially if someone is going to upgrade the stock converter anyway. They are the same price as a regular converter.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #20

Those piles of dead Lifepo4 Batteries in the article probably had some form of homemade management system or none at all and that is what killed them. Battle Borns have a built in management system that pretty much protects it from everything. But like I said they are not for everyone.
USN-RET/DOD-RET

Tags
batteries