Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
Always Learning

Best price on Honda generators?

I'm planning on picking up a single Honda 2000 generator for now. My night in the cold at the winery kind of sucked, so I'd like to be better prepared for cold overnights.

Anyway.. suggestions for a place to buy? And possible "best price" that I should be able to find/negotiate to?
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

Just saw Home Depot online has it on sale for $ 899. Reg $ 999

But the one with the 30 amp Rv plug is still $1099. Not sure which one your looking for
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

You mentioned, you had only a single battery.

Perhaps a second one?
That should get you through the night with the furnace.

( not against a genny, just spit balling)

I actually had a pair of brand new Trojan J185H-AC batteries fall into my lap this afternoon.
Paid $350 cdn for them. ( $250usd)

Not exactly what I was after or had in mind.... But couldn't turn them down at that price.

Now just need to find a place to put them!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #4

Electricgeneratordepot.com always seems to have comparable or better prices, and no shipping charge or sales tax. The tax alone would save 55-65 bucks over Home Depot for a single generator.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #5

My buddy got one from here so he wouldn't have to deal with gasoline:
Generators for Portable Power or Home Backup Power

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
You mentioned, you had only a single battery.

Perhaps a second one?
That should get you through the night with the furnace.

Now just need to find a place to put them!
Good thought, but...

You hit the nail on the head with my biggest beef with our Sabre basements. We have 2 decent battery box areas, but without a bunch of work- you can't add extra batteries to them.

I want the generators looking forwards to summer when I'll add a second generator to the mix and hope to be able to run the A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todouble
Just saw Home Depot online has it on sale for $ 899. Reg $ 999

But the one with the 30 amp Rv plug is still $1099. Not sure which one your looking for
I couldn't find the same model # on the Home Depot site. They were close, but just different enough to scare me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Electricgeneratordepot.com always seems to have comparable or better prices, and no shipping charge or sales tax. The tax alone would save 55-65 bucks over Home Depot for a single generator.
They're cheaper by $100 than I've found anywhere else ($999 for the EU2000i and $1,049 for the Companion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
My buddy got one from here so he wouldn't have to deal with gasoline:
Generators for Portable Power or Home Backup Power
That's pretty neat. I wouldn't mind if there was a way to run it on diesel as then I'd only have a single fuel that I need to carry. I only have the 2 x 30 lb. propane tanks and I already have enough issues with running myself out.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Try Mayberrys and Speedwaysales. Best prices and free shipping.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #8

I'm going to look at putting them right where the factory one is.
Maybe another box towards the back. ( there is a knockout. )

Or build my own dual box.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Try Mayberrys and Speedwaysales. Best prices and free shipping.
Thanks, I'll look them up.

Quote:
I'm going to look at putting them right where the factory one is.
Maybe another box towards the back. ( there is a knockout. )

Or build my own dual box.
I didn't realize that there was already a second knockout- but even getting the battery into it is going to be a real pain since the floor doesn't lift the whole back back to it.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks, I'll look them up.

I didn't realize that there was already a second knockout- but even getting the battery into it is going to be a real pain since the floor doesn't lift the whole back back to it.

Since the Trojans are so tall, I'm going to have to cut the floor, and build a new top to cover and vent.

Not ideal, but it will work, and saved me a bunch of cash.

I'll use them for the summer, then see what lithium pricing is doing.

The minister of finance pretty much freaked out on me, when I told her all about the inverter, lithium batteries, solar panels, charge controller.....
She tightened up her purse strings.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #11

I know you said Honda but have you looked at the Generac IQ2000? I am liking some of its features.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
I know you said Honda but have you looked at the Generac IQ2000? I am liking some of its features.
Yeah, I'm pretty sold on the Hondas. Being NOT mechanically inclined, I like the supposed promise of reliability (ask me about my lemon of a Toro lawnmower for how well that turns out for me). Plus, my expectation is that there are a ton of Honda service centers around if something does go sideways.

Quote:
Since the Trojans are so tall, I'm going to have to cut the floor, and build a new top to cover and vent.

Not ideal, but it will work, and saved me a bunch of cash.

I'll use them for the summer, then see what lithium pricing is doing.

The minister of finance pretty much freaked out on me, when I told her all about the inverter, lithium batteries, solar panels, charge controller.....
She tightened up her purse strings.
Yeah, I am in the same boat. We seem to be hemorrhaging cash these days. BUT- I'm also not sure how long we're keeping this camper, so I'm trying to avoid doing too much more that will have to go with the camper.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #13

Electricgeneratordepot.com

Bought both of mine here....Fast shipping...Free shipping and no sales tax. That saved about $100 a piece and the outright price was the best anyways. They will meet that Home Depot price if you call them and ask.
Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #14

Got curious and checked some of the sites. The electricgeneratordepot had the 2000i and the 2000i companion with the connection cord for $1899. That's probably the cheapest I've ever seen them.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbertalotto View Post
Electricgeneratordepot.com

Bought both of mine here....Fast shipping...Free shipping and no sales tax. That saved about $100 a piece and the outright price was the best anyways. They will meet that Home Depot price if you call them and ask.
So far, they're the leader in the cheapest price @ $899.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Got curious and checked some of the sites. The electricgeneratordepot had the 2000i and the 2000i companion with the connection cord for $1899. That's probably the cheapest I've ever seen them.
While I'd love to get a pair, I just can't swing it right now. So I'll have to piece it together as time goes on.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #16

Quote:
BUT- I'm also not sure how long we're keeping this camper, so I'm trying to avoid doing too much more that will have to go with the camper.

Oh?
What's on your wish list?

I plan to install everything I need, with the plans of removing it if/when we trade..

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sold on the Hondas. Being NOT mechanically inclined, I like the supposed promise of reliability (ask me about my lemon of a Toro lawnmower for how well that turns out for me). Plus, my expectation is that there are a ton of Honda service centers around if something does go sideways.

Yeah, I am in the same boat. We seem to be hemorrhaging cash these days. BUT- I'm also not sure how long we're keeping this camper, so I'm trying to avoid doing too much more that will have to go with the camper.
I totally understand, I have three riding lawnmowers in the garage that were given to me. They would not start, now they run like a top. Being mechanically inclined has its benefits. But I really like the mower with the Honda engine (The one I purchased). I don't have to work on it no matter how bad I treat it.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #18
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Lithium?

Kenny, I am also hoping to see what Lithium Batteries do in the near future insofar as prices. So far, I have yet to need a generator. However, I have not needed air conditioning while boon-docking!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #19

Or check craigslist. Usually see some for sale in my area for around 700- and the retirees don't seem like the bunch to sell HOT items. Or maybe that's their cover...

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Oh? What's on your wish list?

I plan to install everything I need, with the plans of removing it if/when we trade..
There's nothing wrong with the camper (unless that f$%$#@king bunkhouse slide goes out again)- I just really don't care for the living room now. I was never crazy and like it less now that we live in it. The problem is, there's no floorplan that I like better or that has all of our "must haves". I keep threatening to draw something up and see if I can fit everything in that I want. We'll see...

My other big issue is that I'm literally maxed out on weight/carrying capacity. In fact, I'm likely overweight in the camper. So adding a thousand pounds in solar panels, batteries, and related hardware wouldn't be good. If I went solar, it would be the whole 9 yards (panels, transfer switch, batteries, inverter, etc). Having it, we'd spend more time boondocking.

My wish list... 8,000 lb. axles and spacing the tires slightly further apart (if they're down there mucking with things, why not- right?!). This would give me a lot of breathing room for carrying capacity (yes, I hear everyone- I can't change my stickers, but I can change my comfort level).

I'd like to install an accumulator tank off of the fresh water tank. I'd like to upgrade AND isolate the water pump. This should quiet down the whole system.

After the most recent leak, I'd love a water manifold system that lets me control which lines are on/off. But that's a pipe dream. (get it, "pipe" dream)

I'm still on the fence about moving our medicine cabinet to the side wall vs. being right over the sink. I have to sort of duck under it to brush my teeth and shave. I'd replace the current space with a mirror. But, it also means that I'd have to cut down or rebuild the medicine cabinet.

I would now seriously contemplate a leveling system from Bigfoot.

I would consider having OldCoot or someone rebuild an electric stabilizer jack for installatio near the axles. In the meantime, I keep meaning to buy scissor jacks and some wood for cribbing.

If summer comes and I buy a second generator- I'll follow-through with a bolt-on generator box off of the rear of the camper. That way the generators are secure and have a place to run safely.

I have a variety of electrical outlets that I'd like to install to make plugging into things easier and give me USB outlets strategically placed. Right now, our charging station in the kitchen is a mess AND the kids have extension cords ran to make outlets more convenient.

Most recently, I realized that I would really like double-pane windows but they don't really seem like an aftermarket install. You either buy with it or you don't.

And, I'd like to work on insulating the floor, back wall, and where the outdoor kitchen is. Short of pulling the full underbelly, I don't have any idea how to attack that. The R-value of this thing is somewhere between open door and fan blowing the cold/heat around.

Tags
generator