Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #1

Blowing 15amp interior lighting fuse on FR 19rr

I have a 2012 FR Grey Wolf 19rr. Bought new in Aug of 2012 and used five or six times with no problems. Went to Colorado for Thanksgiving and we started blowing the 15amp fuse for the main interior lights. There are three halogen lights wired to a switch by the entry door. Each light also has its own switch on the fixture. Total of six bulbs. Fixtures take the standard T10 wedge bulbs. Here is what they look like: RV Interior Light - Female Socket Port, On/Off Switch - Aero Style - Double - White Optronics Trailer Lights RVIF32 (mine don't have the 1/4" socket)

The fuse does not blow immediately. We camped this last weekend and only had one of the lights on (two bulbs total). We still blew the fuse. Does that mean it has to be that light that is shorting out?

I tested the resistance of all six bulbs with my multi meter and they were all consistent. What else should I be testing? I want to get this fixed before I switch over to led bulbs. Thanks.

ps: We bought our trailer out of state so getting warranty service work is problematic but not impossible
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

I had the same problem in my 25RR. I was very worried and the thought of dying in the night due to an electrical fire was not exciting. For me it was water leaking at the sink. It was such a small leak you couldn't tell it was leaking by just looking. The water was getting down around the convertor and shorting things out.

Luckily I only went through three fuses before finding the cause. I was lying on my side down by the convertor and I heard something. I turned everything else off and then I could tell it was a drip.

In your case, yeah, sounds like some kind of short. Another place where I have heard of these shorting is the wires going into your door. It seems sharp edges are left and can cause issues.
apollumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollumi View Post
I had the same problem in my 25RR. I was very worried and the thought of dying in the night due to an electrical fire was not exciting. For me it was water leaking at the sink. It was such a small leak you couldn't tell it was leaking by just looking. The water was getting down around the convertor and shorting things out.

Luckily I only went through three fuses before finding the cause. I was lying on my side down by the convertor and I heard something. I turned everything else off and then I could tell it was a drip.

In your case, yeah, sounds like some kind of short. Another place where I have heard of these shorting is the wires going into your door. It seems sharp edges are left and can cause issues.
Thanks. I though i had it fixed by checking all the wire crimps. Found one that was a little loose. Well I blew another fuse today even though all lights have leds in them. I'm betting it is an issue with the led lights at the door threshold. The only other electrical on that fuse is the electric door lock controlled by the wireless keypad.

I'm betting on the door. It seems to be blowing fuses after being towed or when we are in the trailer.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #4

My 19rr has the electric locking door. I removed the power terminals on the door frame and it sparked. The positive wire was shoring out on the frame. I have it all put back together and have shut the door hard about ten times without blowing a fuse. I am hopeful it is fixed.

FYI the led door sill accent lights are not on the same circuit.