Old 06-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Blowing Fuse

I have a 2008 Flagstaff 425D Classic Tent Camper. It regularly blows the same fuse. It is a 10 amp fuse in the power converter that has a single wire connected to the positive terminal on the battery.

I traced every wire on the camper and created my own wiring diagram. All the wires are fine and there are no apparent breaks or shorts.

It appears that this single wire provides the 12 volt DC current from the battery to all the other circuits through the power converted when the camper is not plugged into an AC outlet. It also appears that this line is what recharges the battery when plugged into an AC outlet and the power converter is supplying the higher 13 volt DC voltage to the system.

Should this really be a 10 amp fuse? We bought the camper new and it came with a 10 amp fuse in this curcuit. When camping without AC power available, the battery has to power all the other curcuits (fridge, over head lights, vent fan on a 20 amp curcuit; water pump on a 10 amp curcuit; LP Gas Detector, Radio, Outdoor Light and Furnance Blower on 15 amp curcuit). Seems to me that a 10 amp fuse is too small to feed the other three curcuits. I have blown this 10 amp fuse a couple of times running the fridge on DC power while towing between camp grounds.

Any help would be appreciated.

sds62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou
If it is indeed the fuse beteween the battery and the converter; 10 amps seems low to me too. A low battery can draw over 20 amps from the power converter when charging.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Been working on campers for a living now, and most all I have seen are 40 amp fuses in the circuit you are talking about. I would make sure of the wire size, and double check the converter wiring before I changed it to a that much larger fuse.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote