Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #21
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by franman View Post
Just like to thank all those who shared their ideals of what could be wrong with my converter. Taking it to an electronics expert to see if he can rebuild it at a fair price. A new one is over 500.00 Thanks again my friends.

Who gave you that price? A very good Progressive Dynamics model is right at $200 and easy to install.

What model converter do you currently have? Most FR units have a WFCO 55 amp converter (the 30amp 120v trailers).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:42 AM   #22

That price is for the same type of converter that is in my trailer. wont be buying that one.Thanks.
franman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:44 AM   #23

I have an ELX-45 IN MY CAMPER NOW.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #24

Quote:
That price is for the same type of converter that is in my trailer. wont be buying that one.Thanks.
Replace it with this if you have the room

https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF-8965-...r=8-1-fkmrnull

or maybe this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PROGRES...ry!33948!US!-1
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #25
Site Team

The Elixir ELX-45 is no longer made, but the direct replacement is a Boondocker BD1245PC and it's listed for $215 on Bestconverter.com.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #26

ELX-45 converter / Blowm 30 amp fuses

Had my converter checked and all seemed to be good. Still blowing 30 amp fuses. First post I forgot to mention there was a chirping/squealing noise coming from converter.Is this an indication off something Im missing.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Had my converter checked and all seemed to be good. Still blowing 30 amp fuses. First post I forgot to mention there was a chirping/squealing noise coming from converter.Is this an indication off something Im missing.
bad fan motor. Fan motor is protected by a 15 amp breaker in the main breaker box. Try a little 3 in 1 oil on the shaft and bearings. Might fix it. But that is not the cause of the reverse polarity 30 amp fuses. Check from the output of the converter to the batteries.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #28
Site Team

The site team has merged duplicate threads about the same problem into one as per the site guidelines:

Do not post the same discussion topic more than once or in several areas of the forum.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:

How did you have this converter checked (and by whom)?

If you took it out of the RV to have it checked, then it's only blowing fuses once you put it back...that would seem to indicate a wiring problem in the RV.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #30

just a thought that may or may not apply. in addition to the battery cables from the converter there are normally a few other cables connected to the battery from directly wired devices such as jacks, co detector, etc. are they all installed properly? if they were reversed could they be the cause of the suspected short circuit?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #31

Lots of new converters for $200 that might be better than your old one with 4 stage charging.
RVs are not like houses. A couple of times over the years I have run into confounding situations. The simple solution is to call a local mobile RV guy. They can fix stuff in 1/2 hour or less a lot of the time. The typical cost is around $50-80 and it solves problems. I like to fix my own stuff but RVs have some specialized systems.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, fuse