Old 04-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

Blue Sea Battery Disconnect 4 position..... Connection

Im going to blow this place up with questions!!

I bought one of the Blue Sea Battery Disconnects like this...

To go with my 4 Duracell EGC2 batteries.

My question.... I want to run them basically as 2 separate banks and use the switch to parallel them together.

So I connect each set of 6v in series, run the positive from each bank to the switch and then the negatives will share a common ground, right?

Old 04-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #2

I like it. Yes that will work fine.

Traded- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF
retired-TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:52 AM   #4

Good choice on the switch. 2 campers ago I had a Perko switch and wife found it difficult to rotate. The Blue Sea is easier to use.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #5

Why is there a need to run them as single banks. In what case would you wish to disconnect one set & why? Used to use these on boats and they are good switches but haven't found the need to split banks on an RV. Just curious.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

When charging my batteries i find it is quicker to charge the banks separately. One bank is a backup for our camper in case we leave something on by mistake or if solar doesnt do its job and/or generator use isnt possible after hours.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
clr

I installed the same type of switch and configuration in my 5th wheel. You are correct regarding the wiring. I have a residential refrigerator in my RV and use the battery when I am on the road. While I am driving the TV provides the power and it will not discharge the battery. Stop before parking for the night and leave the refrigerator will pull from the battery for that time. I also have hydraulics for the slide out and landing gear those need a strong battery to work properly.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Why is there a need to run them as single banks. In what case would you wish to disconnect one set & why? Used to use these on boats and they are good switches but haven't found the need to split banks on an RV. Just curious.
My thinking is if one bank goes bad, I can isolate it from the other and not ruin all the batteries. This would still leave me with 12v power without having to touch any wires.

I can also charge them separately if I choose to, if I know I will be limited on generator time.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
My thinking is if one bank goes bad, I can isolate it from the other and not ruin all the batteries. This would still leave me with 12v power without having to touch any wires.

I can also charge them separately if I choose to, if I know I will be limited on generator time.
The first makes sense as an emergency option...but the second doesn't IMO...since if you have the right sized charger you can put more amp hours in on bulk charging a BIG bank in a given amount of time than you can on a smaller bank since absorbtion & float will begin much sooner.
I suggest you leave your batts on OFF or BOTH unless you have an emergency.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #10

I suppose you are right... Amp hours in are amp hours in.

BUT... If I only have say 1.5 hours to run my generator I can get more charge into 1 bank rather than both banks. Limiting ultimate cycle time on the batts and bring 1 bank up closer to full than if I tried to charge all 4. All assuming that bulk charge cuts off around 90% of batt capacity.

I only have 60amp available for charging @ 14.6 bulk. I am going to remove the 8guage wire from the factory and replace it with 4gauge so the batts get full voltage from the charger.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect