Old 05-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjunkie View Post
Thanks dukeboone, very helpful! You mention going from the group 24 12v to (2) 6v batteries. I've read about and understand the benefits of dual 6v batteries vs dual 12v....but I guess I'm hesitant to replace the almost brand new 12v battery that came with the camper and buy two new batteries. But, in your opinion, am I better off just sucking it up and buying the 2 6v's rather than buying one more matching 12v and dealing with the decreased capacity? And, if I went ahead and converted to a dual 6v system, would it be possible to make it through a weekend (2 nights) without any solar or other power? (Primarily running lights, maybe radio, and lp furnace at night)
Not starting a pos/neg 6 volt but just get another 12v cheaper and will do you just fine . don't have to worry about 1 6 v going bad and leaving you with out power . you can use 12v in many ways . i have 4 Deep cycle 12's .when fishing i use one as a trolling motor battery the system still works with 3 12v . try that with a 6 V .
2 deep cycle 12 v batts should give you close to 210 amp hr.
since you will be mind full of your power usage the 120w solar should be fine also . 12 volt batteries make life simpler . i get an average of five to seven yrs out of my 12's . Can't say as to how long i can go with just battery power as i've never ran out of juice . on my pop up truck camper i could last a week with 2-12's during hunting season using the furnace every night

Old 06-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #12
Real Nice Clark

Thanks for the input everybody. Took out the new setup for a first run last weekend over the holiday. Installed a second group 24 12V battery and ran the 120W Zamp solar panel through the pre-wired plug. No problems whatsoever keeping adequate power through the trip despite a mix of clouds, sun, and storms throughout the weekend. Ran the radio constantly while at camp, refrigerator the whole time, and heater at night. Even ran the hot water heater the last two days after I realized power wasn't a problem. Had a full battery charge every night at sunset despite the weather. Nice to know we can dry camp this summer whenever we feel like it without worrying about power.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:55 AM   #13

Yep, it is sure a nice feeling, isn't it. We have 400 watts of solar, 664 amp-hours of battery capacity over 3 battery banks-each selectable, 1500 watt full sine w, ave inverter, and enough monitors and gadgets to keep a geek happy!

Mountainjunkie, where do you dry camp? DW and I are looking for a place to go next week for several days.

Thanks,
TD
Old 06-05-2016, 01:20 AM   #14
Real Nice Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Yep, it is sure a nice feeling, isn't it. We have 400 watts of solar, 664 amp-hours of battery capacity over 3 battery banks-each selectable, 1500 watt full sine w, ave inverter, and enough monitors and gadgets to keep a geek happy!

Mountainjunkie, where do you dry camp? DW and I are looking for a place to go next week for several days.

Thanks,
TD

We went to Green Mountain Res last weekend, they have vault toilets and what "should" be lake front sites. But the lake was 20' low. Lol

Tags
power