Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #1

Brand new FR Salem...dead in 2 days

Hey all...I am new to this and unfortunately had a terrible exp at CW as far as orientation goes. I drove the RV to storage and 2 days later went to go check and it's dead. Everything was off as far as I know. How do I charge it? It's not a normal plug I can plug in anywhere. Do I just deal with it and charge it when I plug in at campsite? Isn't it bad for it to keep going dead? Sorry for the ignorance, just new to this and want to understand. Thanks all!!

-Jeremy Wilson, Summerville, SC
jerwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Yes it is bad to let it stay discharged as it can permanently damage the batteries. When you say it is not a normal plug, I assume you mean the it is a 30 or 50 amp plug. You can get an adapter that takes your plug down to a regular 15 amp receptacle, which will be plenty to run your converter that will re-charge the batteries. It will, however, take at least 15 or 20 hours to re-charge.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #3

You need to read "12 Volt side of Life" there are Many reasons for Discharge of Battery in a RV most are hidden! Total disconnect of Battery or your battery will be "Dead" when you return to the storage area! Youroo!!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Yes it is bad to let it stay discharged as it can permanently damage the batteries. When you say it is not a normal plug, I assume you mean the it is a 30 or 50 amp plug. You can get an adapter that takes your plug down to a regular 15 amp receptacle, which will be plenty to run your converter that will re-charge the batteries. It will, however, take at least 15 or 20 hours to re-charge.

Thanks Scott!!! One more follow-up question. What do people do to keep the batteries from dying on a regular basis? Unfortunately I can't keep it at my house so I have to put it in storage during the week when we are not using it. So it is inevitable that the batteries will die. What do people do to get around this? Thx. Jeremy
Old 05-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You need to read "12 Volt side of Life" there are Many reasons for Discharge of Battery in a RV most are hidden! Total disconnect of Battery or your battery will be "Dead" when you return to the storage area! Youroo!!

Gotcha! Thanks!!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #6

Any RV battery will go dead in a few days if you do not have a battery disconnect . If it did not come with one add one.

There are parasitic draws on the battery such as the CO detector. Your tow vehicle will also charge the battery but it is more like a trickle charge / very slow. Do not tow with a dead battery it it needed for the break away device.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwilson View Post
Thanks Scott!!! One more follow-up question. What do people do to keep the batteries from dying on a regular basis? Unfortunately I can't keep it at my house so I have to put it in storage during the week when we are not using it. So it is inevitable that the batteries will die. What do people do to get around this? Thx. Jeremy
There is usually a disconnect switch that disconnects the batteries from everything but a few "safety" kinds of loads like LP detectors and such. If you find that the disconnect switch isn't there or you still draw down in a week, you can get a battery disconnect switch at Walmart or some auto parts store and install it on the battery negative. It will completely disconnect everything regardless of the main disconnect switch. They cost less than $10. You can find one here...https://www.walmart.com/ip/MATCC-Sid...&wl13=&veh=sem

2015 335DS
Old 05-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Site Team

As others have mentioned, add a disconnect switch. As a temporary solution until you can accomplish this, remove the wire connected to the negative terminal of the battery. You also asked about the type of plug so I will assume that the storage facility has at least a standard 120VAC outlet. If that is the case, you can add a battery maintainer like the ones below. They are microcontroller controlled and will charge the battery as needed. Although more expensive, I like the CTEK as it has additional features.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...ry+tender+plus
https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-A...attery+charger

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #9

Here is a good RV electrical system YouTube video....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #10

This is what I installed. Mounted right on top of the battery box.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010043.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	137708  
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #11

All good info ! You may want to test the battery, or take the battery and have it tested. Who knows how long it sat on the dealers lot going dead, recharged, etc.

The problem with a charger at the storage lot is others with sticky fingers !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #12

Thanks everyone!!!!
Old 05-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #13

To be sure my batteries did not have a discharge of any kind (until I got solar) I would just disconnect the Positive & Negative cables from the batteries as soon as I parked it at storage. That was a sure thing. Until you get a battery disconnect set up should you not have one.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
This is what I installed. Mounted right on top of the battery box.

I installed a similar switch along with a 2nd battery. After 2 1/2 months still a near full charge.
Sad your orientation did not go well. Never sign papers until you are 100% satisfied. CW spent nearly 3 hours on our psi and was much more in depth than we needed. Never let anyone rush you through that. I tried to hurry them as this is far from my 1st.
Yes, not good to discharge. Remove cables, open water level fill caps, and use a battery charger. Much more efficient.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwilson View Post
READ the thread suggested earlier, but in the meantime, when you park it, disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable. It will not spark like the positive one would and NO current can leave the battery if it is disconnected. When you return, reconnect Neg cable and your battery should be near the state of charge you left itwhen you parked and disconnected it
Old 05-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Being that you have a new tt chances are you have a disconnect switch and this could be turned off indicating dead battery. Check to see if you have one and if so check to see if it is in the on or off position. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #17

Unfortunately you got a less than ideal walk through but chances are you wouldn't have known the right questions to ask anyway and the person who did it wouldn't necessarily know the answers.

First...the negative cable might give a small spark if the positive cable does, no problem just means that some current is flowing. If you do not want to leave the TT plugged in all the time then a disconnect switch on the negative cable is best. If you already have one on the positive side, there are still probably a few things that do not go through that switch and your batteries will go dead in a week or so. I bet your battery wasn't that well charged off the lot so you went dead in two days. You have a converter that charges the battery from shore power and it should keep everything up to snuff even if you are plugged into a regular AC outlet with an adapter. You should know that if you use the disconnect switch, it will prevent your converter from charging the battery when disconnected. You will probably still have 12 volts in the TT from the converter and lights and other things will work, but the batteries are not connected so the converter can't charge them.

You shouldn't need a separate trickle charger as your converter should have a trickle mode the automatically drops the voltage to keep the batteries in good shape.

If you disconnect the negative or positive cable, the battery should be fine at least for a month, as long as it was charged when you disconnected it.

Finally, this isn't rocket science even though it may seem to be right now.

2015 335DS
Old 05-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #18

I have been taking the house battery out of the RV and putting on trickle charge in my garage. A lot of boat owners I know do this with their boat battery. By doing this I know the battery is charged when I go to use.

Wade & Pam

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #19

Brand new FR Salem...dead in 2 days

There is multiple things that'll draw from the battery. A battery disconnect is a good start. You can get the clamp style directly to the battery (easiest) or the hard way, mounting, running cable etc. Harbor freight has a 1.5 watt solar charger $12. Plug that in (alligator clamps) and throw it in a window or an inconspicuous location. Obviously, have a battery disconnect. Keeps mine topped off! And if it gets stolen, only out $12
Joelhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #20

There is a power switch by our door,by awning button,turn power off,on,we have been doing this for 3 yrs,no problems
poddy47p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem