Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 31
Break away

Hello Guys and Gals
So one of the things id like to do to my bran new Sonoma 167rb travel trailer is to reroute the wires for my trailer breakaway pin. So what they did at the factory is instead of bringing the two wires for the breakaway thru the existing hole in the frame that all the other wires from the battery and the solar panel go thru, they just put them under the cross frame of the A frame and then along the A frame to the pull pin. I guess they wanted to save on 3-4 inches of wire since the hole in the frame is right next door. My concern is that those two wires, black and orange in my case, will get snagged on something or will rub along the bottom of the frame and short out. They are very exposed. So, can I just disconnect the 12v battery completely and then disconnect the wires at the electrical box panel and feed them thu the hole in the frame and then reconnect or is there something I should be concerned about. I guess I fear that the brakes may lock up on me when I disconnect the wire and I wont be able to disengage them. This is my first trailer with brakes so go easy on me I am still learning how they work. I did find out today that even if I use my main battery disconnect to off, there is still voltage going to the breakaway pin. I followed the battery positive wire and it does bypass the main disconnect, so that's why I am thinking ill have to just disconnect at the battery myself before working on it. I read that trailers have a small battery designated for just the brake away, If my Sonoma does, I cant find where they hid it.
__________________

Sonoma Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 209
Disconnect from the battery and reroute. The brakes are activated by the battery.
No battery, no brakes.
__________________

MtBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:52 AM   #3
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rio, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoma Sam View Post
Hello Guys and Gals
So one of the things id like to do to my bran new Sonoma 167rb travel trailer is to reroute the wires for my trailer breakaway pin. So what they did at the factory is instead of bringing the two wires for the breakaway thru the existing hole in the frame that all the other wires from the battery and the solar panel go thru, they just put them under the cross frame of the A frame and then along the A frame to the pull pin. I guess they wanted to save on 3-4 inches of wire since the hole in the frame is right next door. My concern is that those two wires, black and orange in my case, will get snagged on something or will rub along the bottom of the frame and short out. They are very exposed. So, can I just disconnect the 12v battery completely and then disconnect the wires at the electrical box panel and feed them thu the hole in the frame and then reconnect or is there something I should be concerned about. I guess I fear that the brakes may lock up on me when I disconnect the wire and I wont be able to disengage them. This is my first trailer with brakes so go easy on me I am still learning how they work. I did find out today that even if I use my main battery disconnect to off, there is still voltage going to the breakaway pin. I followed the battery positive wire and it does bypass the main disconnect, so that's why I am thinking ill have to just disconnect at the battery myself before working on it. I read that trailers have a small battery designated for just the brake away, If my Sonoma does, I cant find where they hid it.

There isn't a small battery. The battery that is on the front is the one that operates the break-a-way switch. It is a law that trailers over 3000# need brakes and a way to operate them in case the trailer becomes disconnected from the TV.

I don't understand how surge brakes get around the law as if the trailer and tv become uncoupled there is no way to stop the trailer.
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Operator/Technician, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 25
My boat trailer surge brakes have a cable that pulls the brakes on to a locked position if unhitched
__________________
'15 Salem 28 RLDS
'17 Ram 1500 airride
Predator 3500
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
There isn't a small battery. The battery that is on the front is the one that operates the break-a-way switch. It is a law that trailers over 3000# need brakes and a way to operate them in case the trailer becomes disconnected from the TV.

I don't understand how surge brakes get around the law as if the trailer and tv become uncoupled there is no way to stop the trailer.
Thanks for the responses. I was concerned that there may be a smaller designated battery somewhere in the trailer that is for the brakes only. Ive seen those for sale along with a battery case. Anyway its good to know as i had plans to take out my battery while at the storage facility, and then tow the trailer back home to install the battery a few days before camping trip. So now i know that if i do, what your saying is i wont have the breakaway function and i wont be legal either.
Sonoma Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 9,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20loo View Post
My boat trailer surge brakes have a cable that pulls the brakes on to a locked position if unhitched
His 12v breakaway brake switch tells us he doesn't have a surge brake set-up.
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 =111; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,171
Utility and flat bed trailers that do not normally have a larger 12V battery for appliances etc do have a small 12V battery for their break-away system. Since RVs already have a 12V system battery already a second small one is not required.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
MillMitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: MN
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoma Sam View Post
Thanks for the responses. I was concerned that there may be a smaller designated battery somewhere in the trailer that is for the brakes only. Ive seen those for sale along with a battery case. Anyway its good to know as i had plans to take out my battery while at the storage facility, and then tow the trailer back home to install the battery a few days before camping trip. So now i know that if i do, what your saying is i wont have the breakaway function and i wont be legal either.
Correct, you need the battery installed for the trailer brakes to work. I pull my battery while in storage as well, but I take it with me and reinstall when picking up my TT.
__________________
Mitch in MN
2018 Patriot (Grey Wolf) 23MK travel trailer
2011 Durango 5.7L and OEM tow package
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 5,665
Just thinking about it and be sure that you're not connected to shore power when you're working on the breakaway switch, as the converter/charger will still apply power to the switch even with the battery disconnected.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 31
You guys Rock, thanks for the help. That is my project for tonight, should be a quick change and will make things look and function better i think.
__________________

Sonoma Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.