Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #41

If the EMS was at the pedestal would it have tripped? I have a portable EMS and always put it at the pedestal. Since it has a self test mode before power is applied I know all is well from the pedestal, suppose that's not enough?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
If the EMS was at the pedestal would it have tripped? I have a portable EMS and always put it at the pedestal. Since it has a self test mode before power is applied I know all is well from the pedestal, suppose that's not enough?
I don't believe the EMS would trip. It is intended to detect faults in the power supply at the pedestal, not intended to detect faults in trailer wiring.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #43
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhigham View Post
I'm in industrial maintenance and that is a typical instance of a loose connection, high resistance, overheating. Wasn't properly tightened at assembly. Increased resistance= increased heat.
You get a Gold Star!!!
The tech said the wires just fell out, all loose.

We should all check all of our equipment to the maximum. We are so careful with electricity and water and tires. I love our travels and RV life but the more I think about this MH, the more I feel we have been duped.

This is not the first instance of “it wasn’t done correctly in the first place”.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #44

Problem is, unless we start tearing things apart, we will never find this stuff before something happens.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Problem is, unless we start tearing things apart, we will never find this stuff before something happens.
True but the power inlet receptacle is an easy item to pul and check connection tightness. Do it early and prevent all kinds of frustration.

It's one of the few items you don't have to stand on your head to service [emoji16]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #46
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Ha! One of the very few things you can repair and don’t have to move at least 3 things out of the way or crawling around under a machine or climbing a ladder.

If anyone asks me anything about buying an RV, I say “sign up for RV Tech School”. You’ll be better off.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #47

I might sign up, but they are all in the south. Too far away.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I might sign up, but they are all in the south. Too far away.
Road trip!

Take RV and use as Guinea Pig during hands on sessions. Get everything fixed/tuned with help on the tough stuff. Special tools and equipment available too.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
Arcing. Loose connection. Have had it happen many times with plug in headlight bulbs. Voltage drop causes higher amp draw. Try using some silicone dielectric grease on the connectors. Helps to dissipate the heat. Works on bulbs.
Had the same thing happen when 1 of the lugs in a meter base got loose because of corrosion or the aluminum cable used by the energy company.
Voltage drop does not cause excess heat, only resistance cause's heat. thats how your electric fireplace creates heat.Voltage drop if excessive might damage equipment.
tlhigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #50

Cord meltdown

We experienced the following on our 2015 MBS last week while camping...After 9 days at a state park, when hubby went to disconnect the power cord so we could depart, he immediately noticed that the female end of the power cord, where it connects to the RV, showed signs of melting (we were later told by an mobile RV technician that it was the neutral plug). There seemed to be no damage to the male receiver that is on the RV itself. We stopped along the way to our next destination and purchased another power cord, fully aware that we should not use the damaged one. Please note that we use a Progressive EMS at the pedestal.
We arrive at our next destination and plug in, no issues, checking the cord very often for heat or burning. The next morning, hubby goes around for the second or third time to check the cord and immediately notices the burning smell...it melted again and this time damaged the receiver plug as well. At this point, we called a mobile RV technician and within several hours, were up and running again with replaced plug on the cord receiver on the RV. Upon close inspection, he noticed that there was an almost undetectable amount of melting on the surge protector itself, at the neutral plug, and told us that was most likely the reason for the 2 cord meltdown. Long story but here is my question...why didn’t the EMS shut off the power at the pedestal, instead of passing on the problem to the RV plug? Also, since this problem must have started at the first campground, why did the EMS seem to function properly when plugged in at the second campground? BTW, we now have a Southwire Bluetooth EMS so that we can keep a watchful eye out for problems in the future, and plan to have the current connections replaced with a Smartplug. Thanks for any insight or explanations...😊
Cendyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #51
NXR

Quote:
We experienced the following on our 2015 MBS last week while camping...After 9 days at a state park, when hubby went to disconnect the power cord so we could depart, he immediately noticed that the female end of the power cord, where it connects to the RV, showed signs of melting (we were later told by an mobile RV technician that it was the neutral plug). ...
The EMS continued to allow the power to flow because there was no fault yet that would require the power to be cut, such as the neutral connection becoming completely severed. Or the fault occurred past the EMS.

There also is a possibility that your PI EMS was in fact not their model that will cut the power off, just light idiot lights, but that does not sound like the case. What model did you have?

Overheated plugs and outlets are caused by bad connections or water or corrosion in a plug and/or outlet. Outlet and plug damage is almost always caused by the owner plugging the cord in or unplugging the cord (or EMS) while the pedestal breaker is still turned on.

An "almost undetectable" amount of overheating damage on one end will not cause major damage somewhere else. Not going to happen.

Ray
Old 04-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #52

I use this stuff on both plug ends whenever I plug into a new pedestal. Keeps the metal contact points clean and conductive. Also use it on the trailer to TV plug ends. Cleans, lubricates and conditions the metal contacts to pass current easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deoxit02.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	252229  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #53

Did you twist the plug when you hooked up to the RV? Mike Sokol did a blog on your situation which is worth reading.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...er-connectors/
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #54

Clean the plug ends with emery cloth till they are shiny.
You can also put on no-ox on the connector.

https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-c...lubricant.html

Tags
power, shore power