Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
Sunstar35F

Camco 55025 PowerGrip Maximizer 45 AMP Adapter

Does anyone have experience with the adapter which has an male end that plugs into the 15/20 amp circuit and another male end which plugs into a 30 amp circuit which is supposed to supply 45amps to the 50AMP female?

Sounds like it would be a good adapter to have for RV Parks that only have 30 AMP service

From a customer reviewer on Amazon I found this: "For those of you who may not know, a 50-amp RV connection actually gives you 100 amps via two independent out-of-phase 50-amp legs. Some devices in your RV are on one leg and some are on the other. While watching the above-mentioned power monitor, you can turn things on and off to figure out which devices are on which leg and how much current they draw.
What this "cheater" plug gets you is a 30-amp leg and a 15/20-amp leg, so you still have to be aware of what you're running but you're better off than being stuck with just 30 amps. My living area a/c, microwave, and fridge are on leg 1 (the 30-amp connector). My bedroom a/c, water heater, and battery charger are on leg 2 (the 15/20-amp leg). So I know if I keep the water heater on propane and haven't recently connected drained batteries, I can safely run the bedroom a/c at the same time as the living area a/c on the other leg."

" In conjunction with our Progressive Industries PT50C (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC4SWM) I'm able to monitor the current on each leg to know what I can and can't run simultaneously.
Note that you cannot use this with a 15/20 amp GFCI outlet. It will trip the breaker. This means you won't be able to use this at most RV parks because code requires those to be GFCI outlets. "
mjpallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
World Wide Wanderer

The last line says it all...

Note that you cannot use this with a 15/20 amp GFCI outlet. It will trip the breaker. This means you won't be able to use this at most RV parks because code requires those to be GFCI outlets.

I wouldn't waste my money on it. I would just try to live within the confines a 30amp service... thousands of use do.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power