Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
babock, I nicely asked for documentation evidence so I could educate myself on this but all you provided was hearsay.
Here is a pretty good whitepaper from Victron about MPPT vs PWM. From what I can tell they don't make PWM controllers. a lot depends on why you want solar and what you intend to depend on it to do.

I use it to maintain a 100% SOC when I cannot connect to the grid and to top off the system after generator runs in the morning and evening. You can't get to 100% with a generator.

Enjoy.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #42

I too am on a budget, buy wanted to keep accurate track of my new AGM deep cycle battery. Solar is in my future, but I got one of these for now.

Super cheap on Amazon, just be sure to get the 100 or 350 amp version.

https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Battery-...s%2C235&sr=8-7

The only hard part of the installation was that the cable was way too short so I had to fabricate my own, but it was plenty doable.

I just spent a long weekend of boondocking with limited generator use, this monitor was very helpful in keeping track of my battery's condition.
I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but it's worth a look.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #43

ScottBrownstein, that is a excellent white paper by Victron on the controllers.

It looks like Victron is one among the few dealers that speak the truth about the MPPT controllers. Not like most of them with their 30% hype.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
ScottBrownstein, that is a excellent white paper by Victron on the controllers...
i was kinda surprised as well, but then Victron has far bigger fish to fry with their larger equipment. MPPT vs PWM is pretty simple and they both have their applications. I like the fact that I don't care about voltage drop coming down from my panels and the battery feed is remote sensed from the Trimetric. I can never get 14.7 out of my big PD converter but solar hits that and more when the sun is out.

Beware of anyone who believes that one or the other is the ONLY answer to everyone's application....

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #45

Can you enter Peukerts constant? If not, it won't be accurate with large loads like inverters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
I too am on a budget, buy wanted to keep accurate track of my new AGM deep cycle battery. Solar is in my future, but I got one of these for now.

Super cheap on Amazon, just be sure to get the 100 or 350 amp version.

https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Battery-...s%2C235&sr=8-7

The only hard part of the installation was that the cable was way too short so I had to fabricate my own, but it was plenty doable.

I just spent a long weekend of boondocking with limited generator use, this monitor was very helpful in keeping track of my battery's condition.
I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but it's worth a look.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #46

As noted in the white paper, efficiency depends on the operating voltage of the panels. If you stick with the 100w panels that renogy makes, it will be 19%. If you go with larger panels, the difference is more.

Scott, since you like data logging and Raspberry Pi, Victron has open source Linux OS for their systems. Very easy to log data, attach LCD screens to the controller...
Old 01-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #47

I am curious...does the trimetric monitor even have an entry for Peukerts constant? Their online manuals are so poor, hard to find that info, especially on my phone.

Tags
batteries, controller, solar