Old 06-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #1

Can I use shore power and umbilical cord at the same time?

Question; when hooked to shore power, is it also ok to have the truck/trailer umbilical cord connected? Last time out we tried something different when packing up. We wanted to stay connected to the shore power while raising the landing gear instead of using the battery, until it came time to do a 'pull test'. We needed to attach the umbilical cord and to check the trailer breaks, but was uncertain if we could have both powered at the same time... To avoid any damage we disconnected from shore power. Does anyone know? (Hope that made sense...) TIA!

3.5L V-6 Ecoboost
Time-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #2

No idea but curious as well. It's not often I don't unhitch truck from trailer but sometimes I'm only staying overnight and leave it hooked.

2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Head Rambler

Out of an abundance of caution, I never connect the 7-way when the shore power is connected and vise-versa. I don't like the idea of two power supplies (converter & alternator) bucking each other.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

I have no idea if it is ok, but I have done it quite often.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #5

I'm like BR I don't have the 7 pin connected if I'm using shore power, when I get ready to leave I hookup but leave the 7 pin for last keeping the trailer on shore power while connecting the WDH bars.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:42 AM   #6

It won't damage anything because I've forgotten to unplug a few times. I've always remembered after a while and went out and unplugged it.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:28 AM   #7

It wont damage anything, a friend of mine always leaves his truck hooked up and the shore power plugged in. However, I stopped leaving my truck connected to the camper when parked, I had an issue where my circuit breaker between the battery and the camper crapped out, It killed my truck battery, I had to get a jump start and a new battery.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
It wont damage anything, a friend of mine always leaves his truck hooked up and the shore power plugged in. However, I stopped leaving my truck connected to the camper when parked, I had an issue where my circuit breaker between the battery and the camper crapped out, It killed my truck battery, I had to get a jump start and a new battery.
Yes, me too. Especially If I'm over night and staying hooked up with no AC. Like a rest area etc... I'm always worried I'll wake up with a dead truck battery if I leave it connected. IMO, better be safe than sorry.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #9

After I'm reasonably level, I disconnect the 7 pin from the truck and plug in shore power. Now I have full power for running the jacks and slides. The last thing I do when leaving is re-connect the 7 pin to the truck. Wife will do a walk around and check for tail, brake lights and turn signals, if none then I forgot to re-connect. I also use a mini bungee cord to secure the 7 pin to the plug connection. Had it come out once, but dash indicator came on showing trailer disconnected, was able to pull over and re-connect.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #10

I leave my 7 pin connected all the time when I am on power at home and have done so with several different TT's for years with no problems. I always have the truck plugged in when dry camping and using the jack or slides. This allows you to not burn your battery power until you need it. So far so good no issues. It is hooked up in front of my home right now with the 7 pin in and the shore power at the same time as we are leaving tomorrow for a trip. By the way, I have seen this done at our dealership as well with units that came in and needed a quick repair.

Tags
power