Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

Can power bypass battery straight into inverter?

I just hooked up my 1000w (pure sine wave) inverter inside the camper this weekend. Battery seemed to be charging fine and my Morningstar remote display was showing 45 watts being put out. Then I plugged the inverter into the shore power connection and started a DVD playing in my Blueray player going to a 32" flat screen. I was also using my external speakers and subwoofer.

Sounded great, looked great, feeling pretty spiffy about the solar. Then when I looked at the remote display again it is now showing 174 watts.

Is power being pulled straight from the charge controller into the inverter? Is the battery being pulled from also? Are there any problems doing this? Sorry, new to solar. I'm having to guess this is done all the time by folks boondocking?

apollumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #2

depends on the loading. Your CC will provide power as needed if it can make it. The CC won't care where it goes, but.....a mppt stops charging briefly occasionally to measure battery voltages. Your inverter needs a lot of voltage/current from the batteries. So under a normal no load situation, the CC will adjust the output of the panels to match the battery state. When under load, the draw of the camper, ie DVD or tv, will pull the battery voltage down a bit depending on the load, the CC will see that voltage drop and increase output voltage to match. higher volts = more current.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

I was running on half of my solar panels and the schedule 24 deep cycle battery that came with the camper (el-cheapo). I turned on the fridge (electric) along with the movie playing and it was pulling 210 watts or so. I was just running at test to make sure everything was wired fine and I could at least watch a movie. I thought I was going to run the battery down and the inverter would kick off since I had a cheap battery hooked up for the test. Surely not enough juice for all this by itself.

I got two fire extinguishers ready just in case I had problems with wiring or otherwise, hooked everything up and started watching a movie. After watching two movies back to back (Skyfall and Rise of the Planet of the Apes) I check temps by putting my hand on the controller, cables, inverter, and battery. Everything was cool to the touch. Not even warm. So.... Trying to make sure I can run like this without giving it a thought. Questions though.

Running like this is ok?
Was the battery the power source or both it and charge controller?
If the charge controller is supplying power is it providing the majority of it?
If both was supplying the inverter which would supply more?
Can I run much more during the day while the inverter is supplying power?

System (when fully in place):
  • 4 x 145 watt panels 24v @ 14 amps
  • Morningstar MPPT 60 charge controller
  • Xantrex 1000 watt pure sign wave inverter
  • 2 x 130 AH Trojan SCS225 (260 AH Total)
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

Here is everything hooked up. Temp battery on the floor (waiting on my AWG 0 cables to connect Trojans), two solar panels propped up against the camper outside.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #5

Nothing to worry about. The worst that will happen (assuming everything is wired up properly and with the correct wire gauges) is that you'll discharge the batteries too much. (I don't know if that inverter kicks out when that happens or not).

Power will be supplied from both the solar and the battery. For light loads, the draw from each will be proportional to their internal resistance and voltage it can produce. (If the sun is down, the solar won't produce enough voltage to deliver any current.)

For heavier loads, and assuming bright sun, the solar controller will be current-limited which will cap it's output at some level so more power will come from the battery.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #6

Danke herr Barry.