Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Kmair1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 12
Can you connect shore power when the battery is disconnected?

I'm sure my battery is fried and I want to take it in for testing. When the battery is disconnected can I still attach my TT to shore power or will this harm my converter/inverter in any way?
__________________

__________________
2016 Flagstaff 25FKS
2014 VW Touareg R-Line TDI
2011 Rockwood 2608SS (Gone)
2006 Infiniti QX56 (Gone)
Kenny, Annie, and Brock (The Labradoodle)
Kmair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
you should only have a convertor.
yes you can plug it in to shore power without battery just minimize 12 volt usage but it will work just fine . the convertors only real purpose is to charge the battery and supplement the battery .
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
Member
 
frankm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 446
I called WFCO Cheng USA (the makers of the converter in our Rockwood) Tech Support asking the exact question. No problem was their answer but as f1100turbo said, with one caveat: if you have a slide-out don't extend or retract it. The slide-out 12V motor can easily fry the converter with out a good battery helping things out. Something about too high amperage. If you find yourself with the slide-out extended and a dead or no battery their recommendation was to bring the slide out in manually.
__________________
Frank & Rita M
2016 Ford F-150 XLT Ecoboost
2017 Rockwood 2703WS
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
to add to my post and to what frankm said

I wouldn't use anything more than lights if I had to.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
I called WFCO Cheng USA (the makers of the converter in our Rockwood) Tech Support asking the exact question. No problem was their answer but as f1100turbo said, with one caveat: if you have a slide-out don't extend or retract it. The slide-out 12V motor can easily fry the converter with out a good battery helping things out. Something about too high amperage. If you find yourself with the slide-out extended and a dead or no battery their recommendation was to bring the slide out in manually.
THAT'S interesting! Never thought about the slide cooking it. . . .
__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
most certainly ! the unit will over heat and or the cheap 50 cent fan will give up the ghost and







man I have used that blow up twice today I am at my limit I think !
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,365
Not sure if you're talking about taking the TT to the dealer with a bad battery, but if you transport with a bad battery you have no breakway brakes.
__________________
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
Not sure if you're talking about taking the TT to the dealer with a bad battery, but if you transport with a bad battery you have no breakway brakes.


I think he was removing the battery and leaving camper at home plugged into shore power.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I think he was removing the battery and leaving camper at home plugged into shore power.
Most likely, just throwing a little caution out there
__________________

__________________
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.