Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Mipo
Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The twist, at least for the 30 amp connection, is very subtle. Probably in the range of 15 degrees but it definitely helps create a more stable connection.

Yes twist and pull on it before starting to engage the plastic ring. If lock is engaged it will not disconnect.
Mipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #22

Sounds like one of the prongs on your plug welded itself to the connector because of the loose connection.
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #23

It's a twist lok receptical. It must be inserted and turned to the right to be connected. Then you MUST install the locking ring. If you did not do these things you created heat and probably welded the prongs. Turn off the power. Turn the connector to the left and pull. Replace both 1/2's of the outlets.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #24

I bought #10 stranded and tinned the ends. I left extra in the compartment as I had added a hard wired surge protector. I think solid #10 has no give and it can loosen up and heat the connectors up!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #25
RV Electricity Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthug View Post
We woke this morning with no electric. The issue was a poor connection of the electric cord to the RV. I tried to disconnect the electrical cord from the RV, but it wuld not release (it is not the srew on connector being on). I am at a loss of how to get it removed..... Wiggling the cord did get the electric back on, but I really wanted to remove the cord and replace it with a spare with the assumption that maybe something is wrong with the cord. The only thing I can think of to do at this point is remove the connector, but I wanted to see if anyone has other options or has had this issue.
You need to replace the power inlet on the RV as well as your shore power cord plug. Once the contacts have been damaged from overheating and possibly welded together, they’ll never be safe to use again. - Mike Sokol RVelectricity
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 AM   #26

I realize how this may sound but I don't know how experienced you are with the unit. I am assuming you twisted the power cord head to the left to unlock it because it does not just pull straight out. If so, I agree with the other posts that you may have had an arc that welded the components.

Something totally separate but kind of related: Our power went out completely a couple days ago. The little blue light was on the receptacle cover which showed I had power to it. All fuses and breakers were good so I checked voltage on the wire at the in side of the main breaker, and no juice! I went outside and took the receptacle out and the hot wire was loose on the back of the receptacle. I tightened the screw and all is well now. I just thought I would pass this along for someone who has no power when it seems everything checks out.
Thearcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #27

The standard push and twist connectors on RVs eventually wear out and cause arcing. I decided to preempt the problem by replacing mine with a Smart Plug. It's a bit of a chore to replace the plug on the cord, but the receptacle is daily easy to do. The plug pushes in and locks in place with spring loaded clamps. This is not a cheap solution, but it is a good one that you will never have to do again.

https://www.amazon.com/SmartPlug-Amp...s%2C130&sr=8-5

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #28

The cords they use on RV’s today are antiquated as well as unsafe. I replaced mine with this two years ago.
https://smartplug.com/why-smartplug/

Best improvement ever! Easy peasy to plug in and unplug and a safe waterproof solid connection! Highly recommend!
2011 Mustang GT - Tuned and Lethal 475HP
2018 Chrysler Pacifica (hey ya gotta have somethin for mom!)
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #29

Wondering if the strain of the cord going straight into your plug in has contributed to the problem? Perhaps future issues may be avoided with one of those 90 degree dogbone gadgets to relieve the strain on the plug and socket?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55582-P...s%2C134&sr=8-1
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #30

Happened to my 2013 Palomino Solaire ... plastic melted and male and female jacls welded together ...had to force them out and place both trailer connection and power cord ...picked up the marine connection type works great now ...
Beast307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #31

THis is great stuff to apply periodically to clean and condition all electrical connections... your trailer tongue plug AND your AC electrical connectors. Promotes good connections that do not degrade with weathering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deoxit.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	209849   Click image for larger version

Name:	deoxit02.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	209850  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKannick View Post
Wondering if the strain of the cord going straight into your plug in has contributed to the problem? Perhaps future issues may be avoided with one of those 90 degree dogbone gadgets to relieve the strain on the plug and socket?

Yesterday, in the RV Travel newsletter, RV electrical expert Mike Sokol recommended using a 90 degree adapter as well as the Smart Plug. It appeared that he was answering the OP's question either from another forum or sent directly to him.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...wer-connectors

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKannick View Post

Looking at this product it appears to me that it is not only a 90 degree device but also a 50/30 amp adapter...

confusing at best lacking a picture of the male end

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #34

I made a 30A M-F adapter. To many campground poor and loose connections. Burn up my dog bone and not my expensive 30 amp cord. or 50A-30A adapter, better connection. Rv breaker will protect rig!!!!
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, electric, mpg