Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Can't remove burnt lamp...

I have two drop down pendant lamps in the galley area and one of the lamps have burned out. The lamp is a 12v type 1076 and I believe has a bayonet base. I have pushed, pulled and twisted trying to get the bulb out and think any more force I exert will break the glass. Any ideas how to get it out?

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I have two drop down pendant lamps in the galley area and one of the lamps have burned out. The lamp is a 12v type 1076 and I believe has a bayonet base. I have pushed, pulled and twisted trying to get the bulb out and think any more force I exert will break the glass. Any ideas how to get it out?
Google the bulb. Pictures online show two (2) retaining points that require you to push and twist.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #3

Tried that. This thing is in really tight and I don't want to break it trying to remove it.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #4

Lloydg
I had the same issue in my Sanibel. I ended up getting it out my breaking the "bulb" off (make sure the power is off) then using a pair of needle nose pliers to get up in there. I got hold of the edge of the metal base and was able to bend, twist, etc. and finally got it out. Not sure why it was so obstinate, but a new bulb went right in, push and twist, fixed.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Lloydg
I had the same issue in my Sanibel. I ended up getting it out my breaking the "bulb" off (make sure the power is off) then using a pair of needle nose pliers to get up in there. I got hold of the edge of the metal base and was able to bend, twist, etc. and finally got it out. Not sure why it was so obstinate, but a new bulb went right in, push and twist, fixed.

I was going to offer the same advise, but it sounded to crude, but its probably the only way to get it off. Obstinate, wow, I had to look that one up! LOL
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

I need to run my rig into the dealer for a few odds and ends and think I might let them deal with it. I hate to ruin the fixture since I'm still in warranty. At least if they bust it, they can fix it. Thanks for the reply's.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I need to run my rig into the dealer for a few odds and ends and think I might let them deal with it. I hate to ruin the fixture since I'm still in warranty. At least if they bust it, they can fix it. Thanks for the reply's.
Put on a pr of leather gloves, grasp the socket with one hand and the bulb with the other and twist or, get a small garbage can, a small metal object and just break the bulb and then use needle nose pliers to collapse the base and twist it out. It's easy to do, have had to do it several times on trailers with leaking lenses that let water get into the bulb/socket while stored.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduff View Post
Google the bulb. Pictures online show two (2) retaining points that require you to push and twist.
I had the same problem with trying to remove the bulb, finally I bought a piece of 1 inch clear tubing at Home Depot, I slide it over the bulb very gently , then when it was over Ii simply gave it a gentle twist and the bulb came out, easier than trying to get your hand inside the globe, or breaking the bulb and then removing the base with needle nose pliers, give it a try