Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

Champion 2000 generator

I purchased the champion 2000 inverter gen. Really nice, I don't need ac just misc stuff and keep battery charged. I have two weeks scheduled late May in the Smokey Mtns , at Elkmont. Can't wait to get back there, love the isolation, work can't find me there. I made a cover this weekend in case it rains. Was pretty simple, you can find just about anything on YouTube.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_163319.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	132237Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_163355.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	132238Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_163400.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	132239Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_164236.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	132240
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

champion gen.

Had a 3500 great gen. Just a comment, in may can be hot and humid i would suggest you try to put vents in sides of vover especially by exhaust. Could overheat gen.
CHERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

The exhaust points out the open end in picture two
Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #4

Nice cover...

You are fine. The air intake is at one end, the exhaust is at the other. Nice cover idea. I put mine under my truck with a cable lock run through the tire rim. Great generator. I sold a Yamaha and bought one.

What I really like is the weight. I'm an old fart and I appreciate light weight.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #5

I recently bought the Champion 100263 3400 Watt Dual Fuel model to use with my new Rockwood 2304DS when dry camping. Electric start (put gasoline in it and it started first time I pressed the Start Button). It will run on propane as well and included a hose and regulator. Compact, wheeled with a handle and weighs about 90 lbs. Good idea about the simple rain suit.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #6

Yep, that's my next task, a cable and lock. The carrying handle is heavy plastic but seems to be reinforced with steel inside. I have never had anything stolen in a campground before and there are lots of gen's in the gsmnp as there are no hookups.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #7

I'm wavering on a small one to recharge batteries and getting a little bigger one for the off change I need to cool down camper when no shore power is around.

Cant decide over cost and weight and ability to run air if necessary. Was def looking at the champions. heard good things.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I'm wavering on a small one to recharge batteries and getting a little bigger one for the off change I need to cool down camper when no shore power is around.

Cant decide over cost and weight and ability to run air if necessary. Was def looking at the champions. heard good things.
Interesting screen name. I have more than one (Kimber) but my preference is a Colt. You can parallel 2 of the 2000 watt units (Cabelas sells the parallel kit and I believe there is a Cabelas near Kazoo. That way if you need one for light duty, you take one. If you want to run your ac, you take both. Mine has some serious run time on economy throttle, like 24 hours on a tank of regular corn gas.

I know Honda is the supposed best, supposed, but I'm very happy with my champion.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellma View Post
Yep, that's my next task, a cable and lock. The carrying handle is heavy plastic but seems to be reinforced with steel inside. I have never had anything stolen in a campground before and there are lots of gen's in the gsmnp as there are no hookups.
I bought an inexpensive bicycle cable lock at Wallyworld. does the job. It's more about deterrent than anything else. Unlike most folks, I keep mine inside my Rv instead of in the truck bed (with the fuel shut off of course when it's not being used. Out of sight is out of mind.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post

I have the 3000W version and it runs my 13.5k A/C just fine. Still light enough to be lifted into the back of a pickup if necessary.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #11

I've had 2 of the 2000W units, with the parallel kit, for many years and love them. We use 1 or both depending upon what our needs are at the time.

And they just got quite the workout last week ... they powered out house's furnace, fridge, freezer, TV and a few lights for almost 5 days straight running 24/7 (unless they ran out of gas) after a windstorm took out our electricity (plus over 100k other homes in the Rochester, NY area). They'll need a little TLC before camping season starts but they're really nice units!

BTW: I like the rain suit. I might have to copy it ... if ya don't mind!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1 View Post
I've had 2 of the 2000W units, with the parallel kit, for many years and love them. We use 1 or both depending upon what our needs are at the time.

And they just got quite the workout last week ... they powered out house's furnace, fridge, freezer, TV and a few lights for almost 5 days straight running 24/7 (unless they ran out of gas) after a windstorm took out our electricity (plus over 100k other homes in the Rochester, NY area). They'll need a little TLC before camping season starts but they're really nice units!

BTW: I like the rain suit. I might have to copy it ... if ya don't mind!
I copied it from a you tube video. I modified it slightly by adding some additional grommets in select places to put the bungy cords.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #13

Same scernario here in Michigan (I guess the wind went your way).. Most extensive outage ever in Michigan, 80% of homes without power.

I have a diesel powered standby unit 23KW that runs the whole place and it ran 5 days straight (no fuel needed, runs from my bulk diesel tank, 1000 gallons).

We wound up with the neighbors provisions from their deep freeze in our freezer and they got water from us as well, we all use wells here. No juice, no water.

I may buy another 2000 watt unit for a parallel set up when they come on sale again.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #14

All I can say is I'm really glad we had the gensets and they ran like Champs!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
You are fine. The air intake is at one end, the exhaust is at the other. Nice cover idea. I put mine under my truck with a cable lock run through the tire rim. Great generator. I sold a Yamaha and bought one.

What I really like is the weight. I'm an old fart and I appreciate light weight.
Good idea but I'd have to put a some type of reminder on the steering wheel to prevent me from moving the truck before moving the generator. LOL!
2020 F350 SRW Crew Cab
si camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #16

'Good idea but I'd have to put a some type of reminder on the steering wheel to prevent me from moving the truck before moving the generator. LOL!"

Blue tape with the words "Don't be that guy" will work just fine.
Seems the older I get, the more blue tape I need.
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #17

I had my Champion 2k inverter set up right next to a Honda 2k at an outdoor music festival 4 years ago. The louder gen started sputtering and ran out of gas. I got up out of the tent expecting it to be mine. It wasn't. I just smiled and went back in the tent. I love that thing.
dlfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfarley View Post
I had my Champion 2k inverter set up right next to a Honda 2k at an outdoor music festival 4 years ago. The louder gen started sputtering and ran out of gas. I got up out of the tent expecting it to be mine. It wasn't. I just smiled and went back in the tent. I love that thing.
Mine is very. very frugal on gas too, or as close to a perpetual motion machine / generator as you can get. I run all weekend on one tank on economy, just amazing for a cheap to purchase (compared to a Honda) generator.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #19

Great Generators, and I love the rain cover... I think I am going to have to build me one.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #20

Just spent 12 days at Elkmont, Generator worked great, no issues and was very quiet

Tags
generator