Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 725
Champion 2000 inverter generator extended run gas cap?

Just ordered an extended run gas cap for the used Honda EU2000i I picked up a little while back. While searching for one for my Christmas gift Champion 2000 generator, all the ones specifically listed for the unit were $60-80 on eBay!
But...
Searching on Amazon I found some caps listed for the Honda AND states it fits the Champion, too. So, can they use the same gas cap? Not unboxing the new Champion til Christmas so can't test fit the cap when it arrives ;(
The Honda extended run aluminum billet gas cap is half the cost of a plastic factory replacement that would need modification for extended run.
__________________

__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Frankfort, IL
Posts: 28
Curious to know how it works for you. I've been a bit leery to try it on my Champion...from what I understand the Champion is gravity fed while the Honda has a fuel pump.
For the gravity fed system you must put the extra tank higher than the generator...and then hopefully the extended run gas cap doesn't leak!

Has anybody else made it work on a Champion?
__________________

__________________
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS
2011 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0L
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post
Curious to know how it works for you. I've been a bit leery to try it on my Champion...from what I understand the Champion is gravity fed while the Honda has a fuel pump.
For the gravity fed system you must put the extra tank higher than the generator...and then hopefully the extended run gas cap doesn't leak!

Has anybody else made it work on a Champion?
Some champion gensets also have an internal vent for the gas tank. If you try to feed through a fuel cap you'll either flood the bottom of the generator with gas (tank higher and gravity feeding) or the thing won't run (hoping the fuel will be sucked in).
__________________
Sami. my Shih-Tsu "Co-Pilot" R.I.P
Politically Incorrect since 1943
"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,153
The Champion 2000 generator when running creates a vacuum in the gas tank. So there is no need to have the auxiliary tank higher than the generator, just level with the genny. Since a vacuum is created it will suck the gas out of the other tank.
__________________

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com
 
hbillsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Near Dallas Texas
Posts: 940
For my Champion 3400 Inverter I wanted to add an extended run cap and after much research reached the conclusion that gravity feed is not a good solution for all the reasons others mentioned (overflow, messy, fire hazard). So I found the youtube that shows how to add a fuel pump (its a little one that like the one you find on most lawn mowers). I added the fuel pump and tied it to a marine fuel connector. Now when I want to run extended, I just hook it up to my 3 gallon outboard motor external portable tank. Works very well. I never use the internal tank anymore (but I can by switching the knob). The parts cost me $75 and it was an afternoon project.

MOD is based on this youtube video LINK: Champion Extended Run

Also, if you look to the left of this message, there is a link to my Registry Entry under my name. In the registry are some pictures and a parts list for this project.
__________________
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Just ordered an extended run gas cap for the used Honda EU2000i I picked up a little while back. While searching for one for my Christmas gift Champion 2000 generator, all the ones specifically listed for the unit were $60-80 on eBay!
But...
Searching on Amazon I found some caps listed for the Honda AND states it fits the Champion, too. So, can they use the same gas cap? Not unboxing the new Champion til Christmas so can't test fit the cap when it arrives ;(
The Honda extended run aluminum billet gas cap is half the cost of a plastic factory replacement that would need modification for extended run.
Here is an extended run cap for under $10.

https://tinyurl.com/rbtasev
__________________

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Scubanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some champion gensets also have an internal vent for the gas tank. If you try to feed through a fuel cap you'll either flood the bottom of the generator with gas (tank higher and gravity feeding) or the thing won't run (hoping the fuel will be sucked in).
Exactly what happened with my dual fuel Champion 3400. I bought an extended fuel cap on eBay with the fuel line, fittings, and 6 gallon fuel tank. There is an internal vent that when gravity filling it overflows and causes a flooding condition. What I did was drilled a hole into the fuel cap and ran a fuel line through the cap onto the internal vent. By drawing air from outside I stopped the flooding. I ran the generator for a couple of days while hunting this fall. I had some success with it. But with the cold weather and me opening the fuel cap to “check the level” I ended up kinking that vent line and had problems with it. For me it’s a work in progress and this was the third time hunting using this method. My next effort I will try to figure out how to prevent the air line from kinking.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
Exactly what happened with my dual fuel Champion 3400. I bought an extended fuel cap on eBay with the fuel line, fittings, and 6 gallon fuel tank. There is an internal vent that when gravity filling it overflows and causes a flooding condition. What I did was drilled a hole into the fuel cap and ran a fuel line through the cap onto the internal vent. By drawing air from outside I stopped the flooding. I ran the generator for a couple of days while hunting this fall. I had some success with it. But with the cold weather and me opening the fuel cap to “check the level” I ended up kinking that vent line and had problems with it. For me it’s a work in progress and this was the third time hunting using this method. My next effort I will try to figure out how to prevent the air line from kinking.
I have a dual fuel 3500w Champion Inverter generator and if I want it to run for extended time without having to refuel I just use propane. About 15 hours on a 20# tank, about 22 hours on a 30# and maybe 75 hours (maybe 3 days) on a 100# tank.
__________________
Sami. my Shih-Tsu "Co-Pilot" R.I.P
Politically Incorrect since 1943
"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Here is an extended run cap for under $10.

https://tinyurl.com/rbtasev
Yup. That's what prompted my question.
__________________

__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas, generator, inverter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.


×