Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

champion 3500 dual fuel (camp world $1,100)

Pretty good deal at CW on the Champion 3500w Dual fuel...$1,100 with a cover included.

I've been researching this for over a year and nearly bought the Honda pair but decided on the Champion because I wanted one generator and the dual fuel was the tie breaker. -the money savings was nice too. There is a good deal on the red ones also.

I've been breaking it in on propane and I'm impressed.

Edit: normally not a great idea to run on a table but for startup I strapped it on the table (oil fill/battery hookup/etc.) ...I wanted to see what different rpm's did to the battery charge for the electric start without getting on the ground. Voltage to the battery was the same in ECO or running wide open by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171008_160819.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	153734  
Old 10-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #2

Good deal. I have the 3400 and love it. I hook mine to the trailer propane via the quick connect. Just remove the regulator with a quick connect. It put another one on the regulator so I can connect direct as well without tools.

On mine I got 12.5hrs running the a.c. on a 20lb tank and 14ish hours on 5gallons of gas and 4 refuel.

Enjoy!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #3

How loud is it?
RickyD929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Good deal. I have the 3400 and love it. I hook mine to the trailer propane via the quick connect. Just remove the regulator with a quick connect. It put another one on the regulator so I can connect direct as well without tools.

On mine I got 12.5hrs running the a.c. on a 20lb tank and 14ish hours on 5gallons of gas and 4 refuel.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the time run info...
What AC do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD929 View Post
How loud is it?
Better than expected...I was pleasantly surprised. Very low noise on eco and even full load wasn't bad at all. Especially if you were 20 feet away or so.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #5

Nice. Was wanting to mount it on the rear of the RV, and was wondering how loud it was, from the inside
RickyD929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Thanks for the time run info...
What AC do you have?

Better than expected...I was pleasantly surprised. Very low noise on eco and even full load wasn't bad at all. Especially if you were 20 feet away or so.
15000BTU Coleman mach3. I run generator in eco mode. It ramps up quick for startup and is fine. The a.c. had a hard start capacitor. Propane is 3040w and it's great.

The trailer with the inverter and a.c. running pulls about 17amps. Not sure of startup current.

Noise wise I put mine outside the bedroom aimed away from the trailer and others (unless they aim theirs at me) and I have no issues. With the a.c. running I cannot hear it over the a.c. fan.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:39 AM   #7

Quote:
15000BTU Coleman mach3. I run generator in eco mode. It ramps up quick for startup and is fine. The a.c. had a hard start capacitor. Propane is 3040w and it's great.

The trailer with the inverter and a.c. running pulls about 17amps. Not sure of startup current.

Noise wise I put mine outside the bedroom aimed away from the trailer and others (unless they aim theirs at me) and I have no issues. With the a.c. running I cannot hear it over the a.c. fan.
Thanks for the good info!
Old 10-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Multi-Slacker

Congratulations! Looks to be a nice genset. Being older, for my wife and I weight was the issue. So we bought the Honda 2000i and will be getting another as soon as I am mobile enough to go camping again. My son builds marine generators for a living and advised that we get Honda.

That same son said that that gensets need to be run at least monthly, under load, for best reliability and longest life. Be sure to put some storage stuff in your gas tank if you are not going to run it monthly.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #9

May want to check Amazon prices if you are in the market - they deliver to your door and if a prime member it is included. I bought the 3800 2 years ago and used it a lot for Hurricane Irma - worked great - 3 refrigerators, coffee maker, fan for sleeping at night and some lights plus the tv, satellite and router so I could keep up with things. A little loud but not sure how it could be quieter - Certainly no louder than any of the others I heard running around the community.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
May want to check Amazon prices if you are in the market - they deliver to your door and if a prime member it is included. I bought the 3800 2 years ago and used it a lot for Hurricane Irma - worked great - 3 refrigerators, coffee maker, fan for sleeping at night and some lights plus the tv, satellite and router so I could keep up with things. A little loud but not sure how it could be quieter - Certainly no louder than any of the others I heard running around the community.
I have Amazon prime and check everything on price with them...they are $17.00 more and no cover.

The 3800 is very loud compared to the 3500...all open frame generators that I checked out are considerably more noisy.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #11

I could not find the 3500w duel fuel on Amazon only the 3400w duel fuel. I bought from Amazon. You have to be careful they are identical looking but range from 2800 to 3500w. I could only find the 3500 at cabellas and camping world.

Costco stocks one online and another in store as well all different prices.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #12

The 3400 and 3500 are identical although they have different model numbers and different output sticker on the generator.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #13

Quote:

Enjoy!

I wanted to try this with mine. I wasn't sure if it would work. All I would need is just a quick connect hose w/out the regulator since there is already a regulator on the trailer tanks?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by znate80 View Post
I wanted to try this with mine. I wasn't sure if it would work. All I would need is just a quick connect hose w/out the regulator since there is already a regulator on the trailer tanks?
You don't need the light but the rest will get it done. I do suggest the hour meter too for easy to know oil change intervals. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171009-233611.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	153861

I used them to put a quick connect between the large black safety and the regulator. This way I can connect to the trailer quick connect or put the regulator on and direct connect to the propane bottle. Unscrew the regulator and use yellow gas tape and screw together.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #15

Just additional fyi - got this back from support today on altitude adjustments for my 3400w duel fuel. They are just sending the new jet to me.

"You do not need to change the jet for propane operation at altitude since the propane does not flow through this jet. The flow rate will be controlled by diaphragm on the pressure reducing valve.

You need a high altitude jet for operations above 3,500 feet on this size engine."

I also included a picture of the quick connect configuration I got from someone else on the forum since I could not find the post last night.

You also don't need the second quick connect. I got that for my Fire pit project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171010_182348.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	153926
Old 10-14-2017, 02:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Just additional fyi - got this back from support today on altitude adjustments for my 3400w duel fuel. They are just sending the new jet to me.

"You do not need to change the jet for propane operation at altitude since the propane does not flow through this jet. The flow rate will be controlled by diaphragm on the pressure reducing valve.

You need a high altitude jet for operations above 3,500 feet on this size engine."

I also included a picture of the quick connect configuration I got from someone else on the forum since I could not find the post last night.

You also don't need the second quick connect. I got that for my Fire pit project.

Attachment 153926

Thank you very much

Tags
3500, 500, fuel