Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #1

Champion Generator Grounding Response from Customer Service

All,
I wanted to post this Q&A to Champion customer service. I figured it may help someone in a future search.

Question:
Hi, I just added the wheel kit to my 100302 generator. I plan to use this with my travel trailer (using the 30 amp RV cord); and at home by plugging appliances directly into the receptacles (not through a transfer switch). My question is: in either application, do the wheels and rubber sound dampeners isolate the generator frame from grounding, thus requiring me to ground the generator externally? Or can it be used safely without grounding externally? Thanks

Answer:
The machine is wired using a floating neutral configuration and is grounded to it’s own frame. There is no additional grounding needs when used in a portable application like this.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #2

This floating numeral is the reason many surge protectors don't work with generators. I don't use my surge protector when running on generator.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #3

Progressive industries sells a neutral to ground plug that you can plug into the gen to help with surge protectors alarming on open or grounding issues. You can also make your own.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

While 30 amps ain't much compared to the 200a panel in your house connecting the generator to the panel (with a proper panel) has proved highly beneficial to us.

When my wife cause the major power outage in the East 15 (?) Summers ago the panel would have let us run the refrigerator without running extension cords through the house. I wired an interface panel the next week. Recurrent Cleveland winter power outages lasting up to a week were handled easily thru this panel to run necessary things line the furnace (natural gas), microwave, refrigerator, and our internet service.

Here in Richmond I just installed a panel last month in anticipation for the hurricane. Our electrical panel has twice the breakers as the Cleveland panel so I had to select important circuits and the rest of the house is dark. I only had wall space for a 6 circuit panel. Ten circuits would be much better but still limited to the 30 amps the generator puts out.

Using the Reliance 306A1 (6 circuits). Self-wiring this is very simple. Came as a kit with the 30a socket for the cable (twist, just like the camper). $200 and a couple hours of your time.

Manual panel: Start the generator, plug into the panel, switch the circuits from Line to GEN. Easy peasy. Totally isolated from line power. When the rest of the lights come on switch back and put the generator away.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer service, generator, service