Old 07-17-2016, 05:23 AM   #1
Changing 1-12v to 4-6v and Inverter Size

We recently purchased a Cedar Creek Silverback and really enjoy it. The wife loves the residential fridge. The trailer has one 12v battery and a 1000w inverter. We mostly camp where electricity is available, but also camp without electricity at times. This was not a problem with the RV style fridge in previous RV's. However, since our fridge is residential and requires electricity, I am thinking that I need an upgrade in the battery department to 4-6v batteries, and plan to do that soon. I wonder if the inverter is large enough for any loads greater than the fridge itself. What sizes of Inverters are commonly used with a residential fridge? What have others experienced with inverters and sizing properly? My RV is at dealership getting warranty work completed, and I do not have the data for the electrical draw on the fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc. That info is in notebook in RV.

TXCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
I have residential refrigerator in my Cedar Creek and like it. It came with a 1,000 watt inverter and four cheap six volt batteries and they will keep the frig running for about four days. I installed another bank of batteries(Trojans) and a 2500 watt inverter for backup. I may replace the 1,000 watt inverter next year, if I do it will be with a pure sine wave inverter and probably at least 2,000 watt

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #3

Thanks for your response.
TXCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #4
Count on 10-13 amps at 12V DC per hour for the fridge. Add an additional percentage for inverter (in)efficiency, roughly 150 to 185 watts/hour at 120VAC

(the power usage figures from various sources on the internet to include gonewiththewynns, happy wanderers, etc...

The larger the inverter, the less efficient it is and it may be more practical to use a dedicated 750 watt inverter (full sine wave only) for the fridge and a separate 1500 watt inverter for rest of camper. If you get a large inverter, it uses and wastes energy by not being used to its full potential. Inverters are more efficient at their maximum power load (usually 85% efficient) and efficiency is decreased even more if only a partial amount of the inverter's load capacity is used...thus wasting battery capacity.

Remember you do not want to go below 50% battery usage to prolong battery life. This often means that most campers will do better with six 6 volt battery packs (3 banks of 2 batteries wired in series) for fridge use overnight without having to run generator the entire time during the day.

If you had the $$, time, and inclination, a 800 to 1000 watt solar system would do a great job of recharging your batteries and keeping the fridge running all day as long as it is sunny outside with little or no generator use. Solar is not very expensive if you do your own labor. Renogy has decent 150 watt solar panels at $199 each and 5 to 6 and a decent controller would be a great add-on.

Good luck!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote